Friday, October 30, 2009

All It Takes is a Few Words

...to turn someone's day around.

My boss called this morning. We were 10 minutes into the conversation, when she said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you - Artist X came in the other day to pick up some things. She said to me: 'It has made such a big difference since Carma started working with you. She is so pleasant to be around. She is always nice to talk to and has a wonderful rapport with the clients, artists, etc.....'"

Well, I almost had tears in my eyes. My boss added, "You don't know how much we [appreciate] you, but we really do."

Anyway, the point of this post was not to brag on myself, just to show that all it takes is a few heartfelt words to literally make someone's day brighter :-) as opposed to, "You Idiotic Moron!," which would not make it brighter.

In other news, I took VC for a private lesson at a gymnastics center yesterday, to learn how to do a back flip, as he wants to incorporate this into his "act" - His partner would be doing a toe spot and then VC would be flipping over.

I think he amazed himself at how quickly he was able to pick it up. This weekend we will have the sofa cushions laid out in the back yard so he can practice.

Our foyer tiles have already been covered with interlocking primary colored foam pieces in order that he can take advantage of the only place in the house that is two stories tall to practice his juggling. A couple of sofa cushions [temporarily] out in the yard and we'll soon have our own Big Top right at home! If your child has an interest, I encourage you not to fret about home decor (which is also why you will not be seeing many home decor posts on my blog), but to make it a space that they can practice in. They'll be plenty of time to re-decorate and bring out the priceless artwork (or in my case, handmade 'gems' ;-) once they are off at college, which for us is in only *gasp* 5 years!

-------------------------------

[I'm hoping to be doing more daily slice of life posts such as this. I promise they will not always be as syrupy. Do they appeal to you or are you more interested in newsworthy/less personal topics of interest. I appreciate your input!]

26 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It's so great when you get positive feedback and compliments!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

That is awesome!

That is so cool that he's doing that!

semihippysinglemum said...

It's amazing the difference just a few nice words make.

Rebecca Jo said...

Sometimes, nice words are what makes an entire day!

strokeofliving said...

I am a fan of mushy personal stories, that's what my blog is all about. So whatever floats your boat Carma. I like it all from you... well you know what I mean, what you write is entertaining. And I like it all.

McVal said...

I love the "slice of life" stuff too! It makes all you wonderful women come to life and I feel like I personally know you. Wanna do lunch?
And you're right, positive feedback is always welcome. The only way I really know if I'm doing ok with my boss (since it's all telecommute) is that he isn't so owl'y over the phone anymore. Actually pleasant to talk to now.

Lisa said...

Positive words are nice and should brighten up anyones day. Not enough people give them today!

Lucy said...

Seeing how my blog is totally 'slice of life' I tend to like that but I enjoy your blog period, so I think you should do what makes YOU FEEL GOOD.

You are right, a few words goes a long way both good and bad and sometimes we forget to dish out the good and it seems we are great at dispensing the bad!

angelcel said...

I often think that kindness, a nice word and a smile not only makes the recipient happy, they're likely to pass on their sunshine to the next person. From what little I know of you Carma, I'm not at all surprised that you received this terrific compliment.

Hey, I don't mind what you write about, it's all good. :)

Aunt Juicebox said...

Well I pretty much think you rock. And the kid does too. I just think that's the greatest thing. My daughter is taking college classes starting this SPRING! Egads! Although she'll still be in high school for 2 more years.

abitnerdy said...

your son is not even in HS and you're panicking, i love that you support him in his interest and encourage it so much. <333

i love your slice of life post :)

Housewife Savant said...

I like this.
I think you must be pretty dang sweet in RL and slices o' your life are carb-free delights.

~Kristen~ said...

It is so true!!! Words are very powerful. That is why I feel we should always strive to keep them positive. It makes a huge difference in the workplace. Things have changed dramatically in the office I work in in just the few short weeks since the evil co-worker left!

blueviolet said...

I love the slice of life posts mixed in. Do whatever you feel like doing!

So cool that he's going to bring in the gymnastics into the act!

Congrats on getting such great feedback at work!

Laura said...

Agreed, it really does only take a couple nice words to brighten someones day! And geez that boy of yours, what CAN'T he do!? He is going to be a star someday! :)

kys said...

I agree with everyone else, it is great to hear a few kind words. (In turn, it is great to give them!)

I like the slice of life. Whatever suits your fancy!

Shawn said...

So glad to hear positive words----you have an awesome boss!! You should feel lucky about that! And how fun for your son----furniture is overrated, anyway....

Big Mama Cass said...

Yay!! That is awesome!! So wonderful to be so appreciated!

Tammy Howard said...

A kind word, an unexpected smile, a compliment - unbelievable the effect!

I like slice of life posts.

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

that's the way it should be!!

i am happy for ya..

Leproust Vintage said...

Awww yay! It definitely only takes a few words to know how much of an impact you can have on people! Good for you! :)

Yankee Girl said...

I have worked at the same company for 8 years and my boss sucks at positive feedback. A few months ago I switched offices and have a new general manager and I couldn't be happier. I actually hear that he appreciates me and I am doing a good job! It's amazing how much of a difference is makes to know that people can see how hard you are working. I actually like my job now!

That is so rad that VC is taking a gymnastics class!

Amanda said...

I like a little side of syrup with my daily dose of carma.

Me likes whatever I can get from you. :)

Blessings-
Amanda

Amanda said...

Oh yeah... and WE ALL appreciate you too.

Cause you DO rock.

Lisa said...

that right there, is a good boss to have. Your boss could have easily NOT relayed that to you...or taken that opportunity to let you know how much you're appreicated...but didn't.

WTG!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

A kind word or a simple thanks goes a long way, doesn't it? Kudos to getting accolades at work! :)

Very cool your son picked up on the back flips so quickly - will you be putting up a big top in the backyard at some point? ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...