Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's That Time of Year Again!


We made it through an entire 8 days of school before paperwork was sent home for the first of many fundraisers to come!! Woo-hoo!

It's time for schools to push kids into selling stuff by luring them with the promise of fantastic "prizes." A small selection of possible prizes from this year's fundraiser includes:

A Hamburger Hat (if it is anything like the Chicken Hat from last year's fundraiser, it is made of the cheapest thinnest felt you've ever seen)

A Giant Six Foot Pencil! (ever so useful!)

A Chance to come to the Gym to watch Others (who sell more tickets than you) play in a Dodgeball Game. (Wow! Now that's quite an honor!)

A VIP limo lunch to the local pizza buffet (yes, a limo ride to the cheapest buffet in town!)

A ticket to a Sno-Kone Party (the flavored ice colored with yellow no. 2 suckers them in every time!)

With prizes like these, I'm sure all the kids will be racing to sell the discount cards.

When will schools realize that these endless fundraisers are a drain on the kids as well as the parents and just request a donation at the beginning of the school year. I'd be happy to pay $25 to not be nagged throughout the year.

And many parents will be guilted into buying up the cards themselves so their kids don't feel left out.

This particular fundraiser has several different dates when a certain amount of cards need to be turned in in order to get a prize. So, we will be receiving recorded messages from the school every few days to remind us to sell and when to turn in. It is always enjoyable to be interrupted every evening with a message from the PTA rep in charge of the fundraiser in fake cheerful voice encouraging us to sell, sell, sell. grrrrrrrr.....

VC has an aversion to ever asking anyone for anything, so he will not be selling door-to-door, which means he will be lucky to sell enough to maybe get a Hamburger Hat, if he's lucky.

In case you are wondering, we are not talking a fancy schmancy private school here. This is public school. The same school that easily raises in the 5 digits in fundraiser cash throughout the year, but can't provide the kids with any balls to play with on the playground.

What useless things are your little ones peddling this year? And, what are the prize "incentives"?

27 comments:

shraddha/april@theselfloveproject said...

ugh! i know its just so annoying!!

my daughters are barely 3!!but this happens in their school very fun!

angelcel said...

I can't tell you how glad I am to be beyond all this now! (Hang on, does that make me sound awfully miserable)?

Alicia said...

my wallet is sucked dry between school and sports....its crazy! i too would just rather cut a check at the beginning of the year and call it good!!

Tammy Howard said...

I hate this SO much! Don't they know that everyone does? Our elementary school used to do a 'walkathon' where the kids collected pledges. I thought that was great. That made good sense. People could contribute what they wanted, there was no overpriced junk to distribute, and the kids had a fun day walking around the track to raise money for their school. Win/win/win. Same school district for middle school and jr. high and we're back to the frakkin' fundraisers. Grrrr.

~Kristen~ said...

My nephew is only in first grade, but this all started last year with kindergarten. I figure I will be bled dry by the third grade!!! It seems every month there is a new one. He goes to the same elementary school my brother and I went to and I don't remember doing all this stuff back then...maybe one or two but that is it. And let's not forget the fundraisers for all his sports teams.....

Vodka Logic said...

I am so with you on this. My kids are past it thank goodness. And I agree ask for $25 at the beginning of the year and be done with it.
xx

Laura said...

UGH, I am so not looking forward to this stuff!! I hated it when I was little and I hate all the kids coming to our door now (I just can't say no!) and I will hate helping my kids do it when their time comes! Okay, that sounded kind of harsh but I am with you on the flat donation...I would pay $100 to not have them bother my kids the rest of the year.

Rebecca Jo said...

working with the youth at church... I get hit up a dozen times when these fund raiser are out... UGH!!!

Janna Bee said...

I think you should buy the hamburger hat and then give it away on your blog. I for one, would LOVE to win a hamburger hat.

I'm totally serious.

I look forward to getting to annoy all my co-workers with these fundraisers when my children are in elementary/middle/high school as they have so done to me.

Right now it's the smallest chocolate bars for a dollar, and you know I am dieting now, so, it's going to be tempting me all week!

Yankee Girl said...

I don't even have kids and those fundraisers suck me dry every year. Since I was a Girl Scout and sold cookies door to door, I know how painful it is to ask other people to help you so I always feel like I have to be that one house on the block that will buy from everyone. And now all the kids know this so they won't leave me alone!

Leland says I need to just stop answering the door.

McVal said...

My high schooler just leaves the papers in her locker now. She doesn't want to sell to strangers, or to Grandma... I'm kind of glad! However we do get lots of neighborkids stopping by with their fundraiser papers. I have to pace myself. Ok - one pack of Christmas labels from this kid, a bag of candy from this one... etc... I'm going to so gain weight when this stuff finally comes in November.

Karen said...

Oh, don't get me started! Before school had even started, I was getting hit up to buy stuff I didn't want or need!

Tater Tot Mom said...

I can't believe they call at home with reminders! That's insane!

Our little one is still in Early Education so we haven't hit this yet but I'm not looking forward to it.

For the time and effort, I'd rather just throw a Sno-Cone party and donate the money myself, I agree!

I completely hated doing this when I was a kid and never went door to door, I also hate asking for things. And AMEN on them affording to fundraise money but not being able to afford balls!

Randi Troxell said...

yea... i remember those days... and i'm with you- it's too much trouble and all... just ask for a donation!!

Christina said...

My daughter came home with her fundraiser package yesterday!

Actually, this years sales package is better than ones I've seen in the past. It includes, wrapping paper, candles, knick-knacks, candies, etc. The prizes include scooters, toys, lava lamps, and even an iPod Touch this year.

Unfortunately, door to door sales are discouraged. Besides most neighbor's kids are selling the same stuff. That leave mom & dad co-worker's.... and since we work from home I guess we can sell to each other.

Joy said...

For the last few years we just get an envelope sent home to donate money to the PTA. No fundraisers anymore that I can think of. Thank goodness, because it seemed like everytime we turned around we were getting hit with one all throughout elementary school.

Lucy said...

Glad my kids don't do it anymore but still get sucked in by others and agree, schools should ask parents to donate to the PTA at the beginning of the year!

Lisa said...

My kids are grown! Thank GOD!
My stepson is 15 and doesn't wanna do that stuff. I hated it when my girls would bring that stuff home.
:)Lisa

JennyMac said...

Please tell me where I can get a hamburger hat!!!!!!!!!!!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

The prizes are awesome, huh? The asked us to sell for preschool last year. I was embarrassed to ask anyone to buy.

Melissa B. said...

The recipients of my generosity are now institutes of higher education. They allegedly give learning to my children, in return for the gazillions of dollars I bequeath them every year. I sure would love one of those gigendous pencils, though...

Fruitful Vine2 said...

That sounds like it would irritate me. Thank goodness that we are homeschooling for now. I don't have to deal with all this stuff. Here on the island they have something similar called raffles where the kids have to go out and sell tickets. I really didn't like that when I was going to school.

Stopped by to say hi. I hope your week is going well.

shraddha/april@theselfloveproject said...

we have an award for you!

shraddha/april@theselfloveproject said...

we have an award for you!

Kaylen said...

8 days? That's awesome....why not just send you things all summer? Why wait at all?
Frustrating. I get the need to fundraise for school needs, but the way they do it is so intrusive sometimes.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Princess Nagger brought home a packet yesterday for the first of this year's selling of crap... At least there's a permission slip attached to the front so we can 'opt out' of having her sell stuff. I think I'll be checking that box... ;)

Amanda said...

Ugh. You are so RIGHT. About everything. Not just in the post. But in life. You are just right.

Ok?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...