Friday, September 25, 2009

Don't Get Pushy With Me, Pal!

One of the hazards of working in a retail-type establishment is the walk-in traffic. It is truly never possible to know if some whack job will happen to come in that day.

Although as I mentioned, our traffic is very limited, yet about once a week one of those smiley, over-friendly slick sales types breezes in singing the praises of our business and how nice everything looks and talking all loudly and animated. It is clear they have never been in before.

So. I wait. For the inevitable sales pitch.

Yesterday my tweeting was rudely interrupted by an individual who burst through the door and exclaimed how good it felt inside with the A/C. He goes on to say that he thought it was supposed to be cold and rainy so he picked up a jacket, but now it is sweltering (yet he is still wearing his jacket.) He said that he was part of a national program for people interested in starting new businesses, where they were encouraged to visit 30 people a day to improve their social skills which was what he was doing. Odd, but whatever. I figured I'd be friendly and hope he wasn't selling anything.

[Periodically we have students come into our place when they are working on a project and I always enjoy helping them out and providing them with whatever limited knowledge I can impart.]

He said that I wouldn't believe the strange people he meets, but that he could tell I was different and that I looked nice or pretty or something like that. Fine. Go ahead. Butter me up even if you say that to everybody.

I asked what type of business he was planning on opening and he said that people in our area rarely express an interest and that I was only one of 3 people who ever asked that question. (red flag goes up because he doesn't answer my question) BTW, the organization is called the NCA. Only I can't recall what the "C" stands for, if you are familiar with these scheme, please let me know.

I continue to be pleasant, because after all, I am paid to be pleasant. And then he drops the bomb that I was waiting for as he slides his "sponsorship info" over to me across the counter.

He mumbles about how terrible it is that their self-worth is based on how much they can sell. I blurt out that I "hate selling things" (meant to be sympathetic) - never mind that I am in a business where I have to sell things - LOL

I pretend to flip through the pamphlet and then hand it back to him saying I'm not interested, at which point he gets all uppity: If I hate selling things why can't I see how hard it is for him to and help him out. I blurt out that I am already helping my son with his fundraising (having spent $20 on this hamburger hat) --

[isn't it neat??? $20 well spent this year!]

He thinks I'm lying and says that the school year just started and how can they be fundraising already. Quickly recalling my blog post, I mention that 8 days in we already had the fundraiser packet. (and then kick myself for even even engaging the idiot in conversation)

Then he says that if I can support my son why can't I support him? Uh, maybe because I don't know you from Adam and I am not about to give you money when it is doubtful I will ever see my magazines???? And that I don't buy magazines anyway, I read them at the library (kidding, I didn't say that)

And he goes on and on about why am I not helping him....WTH? I turn around and go back to my "work." He closes with a "God Bless" (oh yeah, that excuses his rudeness) and leaves.

I went out to check the mail close to an hour later and bumped into him again. He gives me a cheerful greeting. Awkward and creepy. Apparently he was still soliciting around the center. I turn around to watch where he is going and he turns around and sees me keeping an eagle eye on him.

Does anyone ever seriously buy from these clowns? Like getting pushy was going to make me want to support him? My money is better spent on the cookie dough fundraiser coming next month, whereby I can eat raw dough and get botulism.

enter to win 18 x 24 poster print here

28 comments:

Bethany said...

Nope, I wouldn't buy from them. As a rule, I'll buy from fundraisers from the ladies at school. Girl scout cookies, magazines, etc. That's about it!

Tammy Howard said...

I hate this scheme, too. They always seem so darn sincere. Hate hate hate.

Amanda said...

Well, the only group of "these folks" that bother me at *my place of work is Jehova's Witnesses. And you know I love that.

So. Sorry. Sounds like there is not an end in sight. Maybe it was just a fun distraction. Er... I meant, maybe it was a distraction.

Blessings!
Amanda

Rebecca Jo said...

oh mercy... how did you not tell him off towards the end?

The hamburger hat was totally worth it! And his shirt cracked me up!!!

I used to be bad about buying ANYTHING from people but I've learned to get all sassy with sales people lately.

Housewife Savant said...

You should get bonus pay for this. You're only obligated to be nice to customers.
Next time; give him the heave-ho.
(But good for you; being so nice 'n all.)

VC is stylin' in the hat/shirt combo. That kid is too school for cool.

Laura said...

UGH! I have such a hard time listening to these people, you can totally tell what they are up to the second they walk in! And is it rude to say NO right away? It's like, dude don't waste your breath because you WILL NOT convince me...really.

Oh a side note, WHERE did you get that shirt??? I am IN LOVE! I put ketchup on just about everything, I seriously don't use ANY other condiment!! That's SO funny!

Tater Tot Mom said...

First of all I have got to get that ketchup shirt! Growing up my dad used to call me the Ketchup Queen because I put a lot of it on everything!

Those crazy sales people are creepy. Had one come to my house once selling his magazines and he kept trying to get inside, asking for water and to sit down at a table. I was freaked out and even more so when he got mad that I wouldn't let him in my house. Are you kidding me?

Kathie @ my net finds said...

I can't stand stuff like that! To get people like that off my back, I just say I've been laid off from my job so I can't spare any money...works like a charm, but I guess that doesn't help you any ;-) I love the hamburger hat, totally awesome.

Kristina P. said...

No way. I have no idea where the money goes.

Janna Bee said...

I totally got sucked in one day when I was a teenager- in my defense the guy was cute! I did end up getting a subscription- for a magazine I didn't order- for half a year- for 40$. So annoying!

Lucy said...

Many many many years ago I kid sucked me in, he was like 18 and gave me some sob story about it being better than him being on the streets blah, blah, blah and I fell for it, hook line and sinker, not anymore and I just keep saying with a big fat smile, "No thank you"

BrnEyedGal said...

Those kinda sales people are creepy indeed!
I wouldn't buy from them either...and they make it so hard for you to "Just Say NO!" LOL

Carma...Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Enjoy. :)

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

These pushy sales people come to my door from time to time. I've stopped answering and just let my dog bark till they go away.

McVal said...

I gave that shirt to my dad and my son a few years ago for Christmas!! They're ketchup hounds!

I will only buy magazines from my nephews and nieces during their fund raisers.

Alicia said...

ugghhhh i HATE that!! we always get the ones that come by and say, if i sell one more subscription i get to go to cabo....umm really???? i want to give YOU money so YOU can go to cabo. uhhnahsomuch....buhbye.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

I'll take cookie dough over creepy mag-man anyday. What makes them think "rude" is the way to go? A vacuum salesman once (AFTER I invited him in for a demonstration to be nice) commented that we must have just moved in b/c our decor had the look of "old lady." We had lived here for several years. Punk.

Joy said...

What a creepy McCreepster! :o(

Pam said...

I wonder why my daughter's high school never sells those cool hats for fundraisers.
I hate it when people hit me up with this scheme and then act rude when I won't buy something from them.

Melissa B. said...

What?!? You couldn't find a cheeseball hat?????????

JamericanSpice said...

LOL. I love how you dealt with that...um him.

I've had them too and I just want to do a bobblehead on them.

I would never give people like these my $$.

Kristin said...

I do not get why those creepos always end up getting rude. That isn't going to help you close the deal dude.

Marie said...

Many of these fundraiser-folk are
a creepy lot. Girl Scout cookies
and Covenant House are my babies.

Yaya said...

I'm pretty good at cutting people like this off. Life is short, I don't have the time...

Big Mama Cass said...

OMG!!! How rude!!! I can't stand that. People show up at my door and do that to me. ALLLLL the time. I want to get one of those signs that say NO SOLICITING but i haven't been able to find a sign, go figure.

Christina said...

I loathe solicitors. I will give a polite 'No, thank you.' If they persist then I don't feel bad about telling them off. DH has a hard time saying 'No' to them so I try not to let him answer the door anymore. :-D

blueviolet said...

That's creepy weird!

Aunt Juicebox said...

I never buy from anybody, even my own kid. I don't let her participate in that kind of stuff. I know, I'm horrible. But? My life is so much better for it. I don't have to beg relatives to buy over priced stuff I know they don't want, and then end up buying something myself just so she has something to turn in. Whatever happened to good ole candy bars for a buck? Now everybody will buy one of those.

I love his tshirt btw, I need that for my husband.

Mellisa - Chinook Jewelry said...

You're a heck of a lot more patient than I am! Not too long ago I was approached in a grocery store parking lot (my hands filled with groceries) by a teenager who said, after I politely declined her sales pitch... "by saying no to me you're telling me I can't make anything of myself"... Wrong approach honey! I couldn't resist and had to stop dead (in the middle of the freakin' parking lot) to tell her that I thought that she could be and do anything that she set her mind to, but asking people for money in parking lots and telling them that they are the reason she won't be successful in life is not the way to accomplish her goals.

What the heck is wrong with the people who organize these "sales pitches"? Even bigger question- what the heck is wrong with people who fall for them?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...