Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Listen Up

Do you know someone who asks you how your family is doing and then turns around to do something else before even listening to your answer? Do you have to tell that same person the same thing over and over and they act surprised each time because they never fully listened to what you were saying the first 7 times??

If you recall, on Saturday, there was an event that required mingling. Not a natural mingler, I need to psych myself up for these events.

I made the rounds to talk with as many people as I could. It was a successful night, up until the point that I mis-heard something.

I was chit chatting with a guest and she inquired who made the pots that were right there in front of us. I figured she was referring to the one containing the hors d'oeurve that is a specialty of a co-worker. I told her that that it was made by an artist whose wife was in attendance.

Not two seconds later, my co-worker shouts over asking me who made the special hors d'oeurve with a big grin and says loudly that she made it and why did I say someone else made it. I replied that of course, she made it, at which point she told me that the guest had just explained to her that I said someone else made them.

Oops!! Over the din of the crowd, what I understood to be "pots" was really "nuts"!!! I was mortified, especially when my co-worker joked about it not one or two, but three times in the next half hour- loudly. Loudly.

She joked that I must be drinking (which I wasn't) or going nuts.

HA HA HA HA HA. TEE HEE HEE HEE HEE. HARDY HAR HAR (when was the last time you heard that?) *I'm rolling on the floor laughing*

I'm all for a good natured ribbing, not the kind that makes me look like a dunce in front of potential clients who I've never met before.

I guess she forgot the part that I mentioned to her previously about my loss of hearing!!

Which really doesn't surprise me. Perhaps I'll need to bring it up 8 times before the next event!

19 comments:

Kathie @ my net finds said...

oh no! :-( I constantly mis-hear people all the time!

Housewife Savant said...

I prefer to err by NOT talking about someone's nuts. I think Emily Post would be proud.

And Carma; I feel your pain.
Or I see a plane...
Or she is insane...

"What?" is my motto.
I also emply a constant repetition of the following:
"Pardon me?"
"I'm sorry. I didn't hear you."
"You're on my 'Bad Side'" (which is not to be confused with my Fecal Roster.)
"You're in the other room, and you're talking to ME? Oh no you're not."
And the pi├Ęce de r├ęsistance - "If I can't see your mouth we're not talking here."

I hate Subway.
Subway is the devil for HI people.
Curse their delicious bread and the stinking sneeze guard. Curse their noisy coolers.

Now I'm riled. I need a snack. Maybe some nuts...

angelcel said...

Oh dear, your co-worker seems to be overly sensitive about her nuts! She also sounds like a bit of a boor, which is way worse than being hard of hearing. Take heart, I'm willing to bet that this didn't go unnoticed by your potential clients. :)

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Inconsiderate boob indeed!

shraddha/april@theselfloveproject said...

i would not either...

good for ya...

very interesting post..

your blog is like breath of fresh air!

strokeofliving said...

...that's why people annoy me...

Good mingling job however. I tend to call crazy people crazy. And when it is clear that someone is not listening, I walk away mid sentence. It makes an impact.

Maybe 8 times is the charm.

McVal said...

loL! Those types of people drive me nuts too! I have a hearing problem as well and miss a few things now and then. If I miss one word that my daughter is saying and ask if she repeat herself, she acts like I'm totally deaf AND kind of slow... So she repeats the entire sentence very slowly and loudly. AHHHH!
My family keep saying they should get me a hearing aide for Christmas and birthdays, but so far, no go...
I wouldn't mind one actually...

JennyMac said...

Oh no! She did get quite the kick out of that, didnt she.

Yankee Girl said...

That is so frustrating! It's fine with me if close friends and family give me a hard time about stuff, but it's not cool when it comes from someone I am not particularly close with or have just met. It is okay to be polite people!

shoogyboogy said...

I know what you mean. I'm sure I have a selective ear or somthing. beacause you feel fulish to ask 3 time what they've said. I just put on a half smile half understandin look

Lisa Paul said...

You forgot the other corollary: that the person who never listens to anything you say is also the person who monopolizes the conversation the most with tales of their family.

Or becomes a loud boor at parties. Don't worry, your "friend's" behavior would have reflected badly on her, not you. Everyone hates a loud-mouth.

Ann On and On... said...

Humm, I'll have to sit on that one for a while. I'm not sure what I would have done in that situation.

Don't you hate when people say...something about you drinking too much when you haven't had a sip.

Arg!

Tammy Howard said...

My hearing is also sub-par. But I've told you that at least a dozen times. (I KID!!!)

I'm sure your potential clients were not fazed by her silly need for attention and accolades.

It's an art show, lady. Nobody cares about your stupid nuts.

Kristin said...

ARSE CLOWN.

Donna Gotlib said...

bless your heart...they are just nuts!

Yaya said...

Ew, that is obnoxious.

Amanda said...

Those people are all nuts. Seriously. Dont they know who you are?? Did you then tell them that you run a very successful blog that tens of thousands of people read every single day?

You. Are. Carma.

HELLO!!!

(i yelled that so you could hear me)

smirk

God bless-
Amanda

Big Mama Cass said...

:)

Sorry I haven't had a chance to post the "cheesy" pics yet but will as soon as I can. Time is hectic right now.

Lucy said...

I wouldn't bother with her and if she brings it up again I would embarrass her with, "Gee you know how to beat a thing to death, it was a simple mistake in a loud atmosphere." And walk a way. Done, boom, end it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...