Monday, August 31, 2009

I Did It!!


The big belly dance extravaganza was on Saturday night. I was very nervous but managed to make it through the performance, despite the fact that I had not gone to the bathroom in hours and didn't want to risk getting my outfit all discombobulated should I attempt to go in the tiny stall at the performance center. (Next time I will risk it!)

Our little group only came to the front of the stage for about a minute, so I suggested to VC and my folks not to blink our they might miss us.

As I sat through the rest of the show, which was a mix of our group and a much larger group from the instructors home studio- over 60 dancers in all, I slowly came to the sinking realization that the best dancers were the ones out front. You may notice from this photo, that I am safely in the REAR, which may explain my level of dance. Just an observation.


Yet, I keep reminding myself that I am not a "natural" and that I did this on a lark, so I am tryin' not to judge myself too harshly!!

Interestingly, I noticed that many of the dancers did NOT don tribal makeup!!! They went for a more natural made up look, which is, of course, way more attractive!!!!! There I was with my makeup that was bordering on Goth, and they looked like princesses - doh!!! I should have assumed some of the dancers would try to "sex it up" and also noticed that the young dancers only wore one thin skirt slung waaaay low on their hips. Also much more attractive than the 42 yards of fabric I was wearing. Why did I not anticipate all this????

You should have seen the looks I got when we stopped at Target and the Chinese Buffet on the way home :D

Oh, I almost forgot the "Ariel" update. Would you believe she went out of her way (well, not toooo far out of the way being that I walked up to her) to ask me if I would be continuing with the class? And, her "cohort" told me she would not be continuing on -- and GAVE ME A HUG since she wouldn't be seeing me anymore!! Just when I thought they (esp. Ariel) were back to their old ways!

Life never ceases to amaze me....

39 comments:

Randi Troxell said...

WOO-HOOO!!! go you! you have way more balls than i do!! lol...

Aleta said...

You looked FANTASTIC! I looked at what the other dancers had on and I actually like you outfit the best! Kudos to you for doing this! Yeah! Feel proud!

Adventures of an Innkeeper said...

Yeehaw, you should be proud of yourself. You look great!
I have a friend in Germany who belly dances and she and her troupe give performances at old folks homes. Heehee, can you imagine the near heart attacks these women deal out?

Karen said...

Oh my God! You look like a pro!

If you decide to lose some of the fabric from your skirts, you can make them into CLOTH napkins...

Tater Tot Mom said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! You're blog is great and I'm now a follower!

I thought your outfit looked great! You have way more guts than I do.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

You were in the second row looking ecstatic - And second row is NOT the rear, Carma!

Well done for such bravery - Loved the blue and yellow on you!

And where were the roller-skates??!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

you look awesome!!

~Kristen~ said...

Go Carma!!! Go Carma!!!

Girl, you are a ROCK STAR!!! So proud of you and you look fabulous!!!

Rebecca Jo said...

HOW EXCITING... you look fantastic in your outfit & makeup! It would have been fun to take pictures of your trip in the stores & to dinner & people's reactions!!!!

I bet you whipped those hips like no ones business!!!

Janna Bee said...

I think you look awesome. Yay for you!

Christina said...

Congrats! You should be proud. You look terrific. Keep it up girl!

Lucy said...

WOW!! You look great! Keep it up and WAY TO GO!!!

Jen said...

AWESOME! You look great! You look like you're having a blast :)

I gave you an award, come check it out :)

Stephanie Faris said...

Well you look great. And you had fun, so that's all that mattered. I took a few belly dancing classes but everyone else dropped out and I didn't enjoy taking it alone.

Tammy Howard said...

Good God, woman! You look amazing!!!

A friend brought up possibly taking a class this winter and I am mulling it over. I think I would like it. I don't know. I have a couple months to think about it...

Vodka Logic said...

Good on you, looks fun. Braver than I would be.
xx

Dr.John said...

You looked great. The only real question you have to answer is " Did you enjoy the experience?"

Dana said...

How fun and exciting! I can only imagine the looks from people when you went out to eat and shop! Great job!

Mark said...

Congratulations Carma! And by the way, laptop procurred and you're back in the Reader feed :-)

Laura said...

Woot woot!! You look awesome and you were NOT in the back row! :) Congratulations! Are you going to keep doing this? You know since now you know for the next time you can slut it up a little. :)

Amanda said...

CARMA!!! I SEZ YOU ROCK!!!! Way to go girl!!! I am really impressed with you and that you decided to do something and just did it!!! I LOVE your outfit and your makeup looks fab and so does that 6 pack of yours!!!

YOU ROCK!

Blessings-
Amanda

Melissa B. said...

Bravo, Carma! Now I can say I know one of Shakira's cousins, oui?

Jill of All Trades said...

Wow, what fun!

Kristin said...

WHOA hot mama. You look so fabulous!! What an amazing thing to achieve. I am way to much of a wuss to try something like that. Be proud. You are woman. Here you roar. Ah ha

Shawn said...

YAY!! You go, girl!! We need video!!!!!! I just went to a belly dance show on Sat. night---weird, huh? It was the belly dancers that rent from me at my theatre---they were amazing!!! No classical belly dancing, but some amazing improv type----even a woman that mixed hip hop with belly dancing----she was phenomonal!

Looks so fun!!

angelcel said...

You look beautiful and well done on doing this!

Ariel and her friend seem to run hot and cold like a bathroom tap. At least 'friend' left on a high note. :)

Linda Benson said...

I think you look fantastic and deserve a tremendous 'way-to-go' for taking this on! Super-impressive -- quite inspiring, my friend!

shraddha/april@theselfloveproject said...

oooh fun fun fun!

looks like so much fun!!!

shraddha

Tracey said...

A BIG Well Done to you xxx.. You look great. Go You xxx

Lisa Paul said...

Hoooray for you! Great outfit (although a few strategically strung cheeseballs would have added just that touch). HOwever, we need more of a close-up so we can see your "tribal markings" or whatever that face-painting thing is you told us about.

And yes, you should sign up for the next class.

Mommyof2girlz said...

SEXY lady!! You look fantastic!! WAHOO!!

Lisa said...

You go GIRL! I do not have the balls to do that. WOW...would love to have them though cause it looks like fun.
Wanted to let ya know I'll be mailing your package out this week. Thanks for entering! :)Lisa
kssnnikkel.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

Great photos! Looks like so much fun!

AquarianJwl said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving some bloggy love for me! <3

Try this blogger - she has great tutorials! :)

~ AquarianJwl

Leproust Vintage said...

Oh my goodness, you look incredible! How fun! Congratulations! :)

Housewife Savant said...

Yay YOU!

You looked great, and I'm sure you did a good job, but go ahead and self-depreciate. That's good funny.

WILL you be continuing?

thegirlfromtheghetto said...

Belly dancing? Now, that is one impressive skill. Good for you girl, good for you!

Joy said...

Look at you and your bad self! :::applause::: gorgeous and talented! WTG!

p.s. thanks for the Ariel update. ;o)

Paul said...

Looks amazing!!! Well done for putting the costume together.

Paul @ Fancy Dress Costumes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...