Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Hefty Review!


Dedicated reader Lucy recently requested for me to do a product review of a product she was interested in purchasing: Hefty Unscented Odor Block trash bags. My reply: sure thing! So I headed out to pick some up....

The bags I tested were The Gripper Bags with the new Unscented Odor Block Technology by Hefty. I'll admit that I was a bit hesitant to take on this challenge since we normally try to limit fragrant items around the house due to allergies, but then I realized the key word: Unscented!! These bags DO NOT mask the odors with other more fragrant odors! They neutralize odors.
I was in.

The Hefty Odor Block bags are reasonably priced at around $7.00 for 40 - 13 Gallon Size Bags.

Since my kitchen trash can (help me out here, is it still called a trash can if it is in the kitchen and not made of metal?) was not that tall, I instead simply placed the bag on a floor in the corner of the kitchen and filled it up over a few days. Not too classy, but it did the trick!

The results: The bags do work. Assuming you have a large garbage receptacle with one of those plastic lids, they would probably be even more effective. I tested a variety of items. One that was most fragrant was cantaloupe scraps. Here, it was still possible to smell some odor, but it was a lot less potent than it would normally have been. Oh, and I tested the bags on the week we had to toss out the $12 in parboiled ribs- with 6 days to go before trash pick up day. I'm happy to say the smell in the garage (where we keep our roll out container) was bearable even on day 6.

I did not experience complete odor elimination, but what I did smell was a significant reduction in odor.

But, who better to do the ultimate smell test than VC (before he went on the excursion to his grandparents and donned his vest)

Our old trash disposal bag:


The Hefty with Unscented Odor Block Bag (a close smell):


"Ahhhh....much better!"

Interested in having me test a product for you (within reasonable limitations), please let me know. BTW, don't all request a BumpIts test at once! :D

I am excited about my next review featuring a product from Teak, Wicker, and More, a fantastic site that sells everything from patio furniture to rugs - and, of course, more! Stay tuned...

17 comments:

Karen said...

Hmmm... might have to try those.

Lisa Paul said...

Hmmm. Is it really a garbage test without a chicken carcass and some fish scraps? Let's see how those suckers hold up to that!

However, your sniff test model is priceless.

Christina said...

I have never seen someone so happy to be sniffing trash. LOL

Rebecca Jo said...

I love that your son is always up for some fun bloggy pictures!

Lucy said...

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

AND you have to double thank VC for the big whiff!!!

I am going to definitely give them a try.

We never throw chicken or fish in the trash can in the house they go straight outside, so I think we are good to go!!!!!

Yankee Girl said...

Your son is such a good sport!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

I thought the post title was a figure of speech, lol! I've actually been wondering about those bags :-)

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Good to know.

shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

lol..you are one sweet blogger..

i very much enjoy your blogs..

Housewife Savant said...

If you're going to recruit VC for every review - I want to come up with something torturous.

How does he feel about leg waxing?

Linda Benson said...

How could I not? I have an award for you on my site, Ms. Carma Sez. I would be honored if you would consider accepting it. :)

Kristin said...

Ahhhhhh, I'm dying for some teak patio furniture!

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

Ohhh THANKS for the review, these are something I have been wanting to try out.

The kittehs are still not getting along...Wynona is jealous, sigh.

(())

Alicia said...

i love that he sniffed the garbage!

Amanda said...

I had no idea you could talk for so long about garbage bags. But you did it well.

I did bust a gut over VC after 'all better'. lol That kids got a career ahead of him.

As what, I don't know.

But something.

Blessings~
Amanda

Yaya said...

Your son cracks me up!!!

bigmamacass said...

lmao!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...