Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Final Post Where I Discuss Chiggers

Please bear with me as I conclude with this final post on the topic. Although, I hate to say "final" because you just never know; look at Cher's "Farewell" Tour!

It has come to my attention that many people are unaware what a real chigger bite looks like, and are therefore mistaking plebeian mosquito bites as being the far nastier variety, i.e. chigger bites. Furthermore, they are being all melodramatic to their family members claiming they are plagued with chigger bites, and are using it as an excuse to get out of doing work around the house, oh wait, that's MY excuse :D

Without further ado, I have taken some photos of my chigger bites. I will spare you any photos of my butt cheeks. Here's Exhibit A: a bite that was on my finger, middle finger to be exact!


And Exhibit B: A bite that was on my thigh (ignore the spider veins) or is it really my butt (I'll never tell) - blogger has decided to put the picture in crooked.
Here's some further info on the chiggers themselves:

- they are barely visible to the naked eye (their length is less than 1/150th of an inch).

This is a great photo someone took of a chigger on a coin so you can get an idea how tiny they are. They basically look like small red dots that move:




Here is some info from medicinenet.com that I have summarized:

Chiggers insert their feeding structures into the skin and inject enzymes that cause destruction of host tissue. Hardening of the surrounding skin results in the formation of a feeding tube. Chigger larvae then feed upon the destroyed tissue. If they are not disturbed (which is rarely the case because they cause substantial itching - you don't say!!) they may feed [on your tissue] for a few days.

Here are the symptoms:

A chigger bite itself is not noticeable. After the chigger has begun to inject digestive enzymes into the skin (usually after about 1-3 hours), symptoms typically begin.

  • Pronounced itching is the most common symptom.

  • The area of the bite may be reddened, flat, or raised; sometimes it resembles a pustule or blister.

  • The itch is most intense within 1-2 days after the bite.

  • The itching persists for several days, and complete resolution of the skin lesions can take up to TWO WEEKS!!!!!!!!
I hope you have found this to be somewhat helpful. At just over one week, the itching finally subsided.

Although I will not be resuming talk of chiggers, I do have an interesting tick story that may appear in a separate post. Please try and contain your excitement!

21 comments:

angelcel said...

Well now I feel truly enlightened. Again, another thing that we are denied over here (I'm pleased to say). I once heard 'chiggers' referred to in an episode of 'Diagnosis: Murder' (the TV just happened to be left on, honestly) and I wondered what on earth they were talking about. Now I know. :)

Yankee Girl said...

That was so informative! I can't wait to read the one about ticks. Be sure to include that ticks can be removed with tweezers. For some reason, I field a ton of calls while at the animal emergency clinic on how to remove ticks. When I say tweezers, people usually don't believe me. But it works, use tweezers.

Alicia said...

well you learn something new everyday! chigger bites eh? yikes!! and don't lie...that's totally your butt!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

so does that mean chiggers:2 and carma: 0 ?

I am dying to read the tick story now! seriously!!!

Lucy said...

Wow, thanks for clearing up the chigger question, it was haunting me (lol)

Housewife Savant said...

Please don't say this is over.
It's NEVER over at my house.
No, he doesn't try to bail on yardwork, but hubby insists he's chiggerated when I'm certain he's getting bit (bitten?) by other creatures.
He's not affected for any more'n a few hours.

He scratches everything 'til it gets a scab (Yum, the Sexy Beast) so how to be certain...

Please come over and back me up. (I'll call you.)

I love this informative post, but one thing's lacking.
You don't tell us what happens when the babies hatch and exit their host.
Ew.

Lisa Paul said...

Tell me chiggers are a Southern phenomenon. Because I don't want to think they are anywhere near me. I'll take Sonoma's scorpions any day. At least you can see them coming.

nikkicrumpet said...

Well it was enlightening...and truly disgusting. I'm thinking my home needs to be declared a chigger free zone! I hereby declare it dammit! OUT DAMN CHIGGERS!

Jill of All Trades said...

Wow, that is exactly what I am dealing with on my backside from the weinnie roast we attended last Friday night at the creek...itch, itch, itch...

Kristin said...

Duuuuuuude, that close up of that nasty little fellow is icksville! But I enjoyed the information session! I'll be on the lookout.

fizzycat said...

Gruesome yet informative.Thanks for the information.All I know about ticks is they supposedly fall off if you cover them in vaseline , thankfully I have never had to find out if this is true or not.Will be back to find out more.

Bentley Boutique said...

I hate chigger bites!!! I never knew why they itch so bad, but now I do, thanks to you:)When you get to the ticks, don't forget the seed ticks that pop out of the big fat dog ticks. GROSS

Shawn said...

I don't know if we have chiggers... Are they in a certain regional area? We DO however, have the biggest amount of ticks, so I have quite a few stories myself.

Hope your itching goes soon!

Amanda said...

Well thanks.a.lot. I did NOT need to read about all that.

Blech.

Ever seen a bed bug?? My family got attacked my them once. It wasn't pretty. And there might have been a butt involved.

I'll never tell.

If you posted a picture of your butt on your blog without people knowing its your butt then you are awesome.

I mean a big sinner.

icandy... said...

Carma! Hi!

Thanks so very much for popping by my place! Hey, this is the woman who does most of her Christmas shopping on Christmas EVE!!!! HA! No joke... I am THE worst!!(procrastinators unite!!!!....TOMORROW!) Nothing like waiting until the last minute, I can't even believe that I made those now. What was I thinking??? :))))

I'll be back to check in on you soon!

Hugs!
Christina :)

bigmamacass said...

ewwwww *shudder* I had to stop reading after the picture. Sorry, bugs FREAK me out! AAHH! *shudder*

now i got the willies!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

an award for you! :-)

http://mynetfinds.blogspot.com/2009/08/youre-gem.html

Angel said...

These things are so annoying, thank you for the information

Sara Bonds said...

Ewwwwww! Yuck. I have to say, though. I would rather deal with chiggers than ticks any day, and they sort of look like tiny ticks. I don't like bugs. Gross!

Anonymous said...

This has been soooo help full!! Thank you very much and i am so sad that you had them all over you! :(

Anonymous said...

You were sooo helpful, I can't thank you enough! I am so sorry you go their bites all over you! :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...