Thursday, August 20, 2009

Call Off the Smackdown - for now.

Dedicated blogger and self-professed "glamazon wannabe" Kristin inquired yesterday about the happenings at my belly dance class and I was more than happy to share the news:

photo credit: LloydThrap

I can safely say that we call call off the smackdown, for now: "Ariel" and her cohort in dance seem to be coming around! (so maybe there IS hope for Omarosa after all!)

[If you are new to my blog you can catch up on the drama here and here.]

Last week Ariel was her usual standoffish self. We were gathered around the instructor as she showed us how to apply our makeup (there is a photo of me in my dance makeup to your right). She wandered in late, and instead of sitting on the floor with the group, stood off to the side.

But here's the interesting part: The instructor offered each of us a choice of bindi (which are kinda like jewels with sticky on the back that are applied to the face, usually on the forehead). Everyone one was excited - who doesn't love a freebie!!!

We each selected one, and then the teacher noticed that Ariel had not selected any. She encouraged her to take one, but Ariel kept refusing, saying she had already purchased her own, like the teacher's bindi weren't good enough!! Rude much???

Where was I, oh yeah, this was supposed to be a positive post about the "new" Ariel.

So that was the class from two weeks ago. On Monday, Ariel was smiling and joked that the three of us with yellow skirts kept lining up in a row. Friendly banter. Very unexpected! But, here is the coup de gras: After class was over, one of the students from the advanced class, who sells costumes, showed up with some skirts that were marked down to $50.

Natch, I had to try one on, and I absolutely loved it. The shade of blue perfectly complimented my yellow skirt. (Despite my belly dancing on a budget rule, I had to splurge.) I had been hoping to find another skirt, since "real" dancers usually layer two skirts and my yellow skirt was only 17 yards, very "puny" by belly dance standards.

So I was trying on the skirt over my skirt and Ariel overheard me talking to my buddy about which color to get and Ariel commented which one she thought would work best. Well, I'll be!! Not only was she speaking to 'lil ole me - but she was being friendly and helpful....

I am not sure to what we owe this pleasant turn of events. Is there a possibility we will be official "sisters in dance" by our recital on the 29th??? Stay tuned....

23 comments:

angelcel said...

Isn't it weird?! I know that sometimes extreme shyness makes people act in very odd ways. Could it be that she is actually afflicted with an acute case of it? ...shyness I mean. :)

Housewife Savant said...

Are you just carma-lizing this with your own sweetness?

Like, did Ariel say, "That blue skirt pairs well with your yellow skirt cuz it tones down the pastiess of your leathery skin and makes your gigantic butt look less school-bus-ish"????

Beth said...

You should bring her some cheeseballs at the next class. She'll be your BFF then.

AK said...

Hmm.. I agree with Beth. SHe has made a starting, y don't u give a push. A push which won't tumble her down but will make her happy! Anyways keep us posted on what happens next...I know u will do that.Takecare.

Tammy Howard said...

I so love some good drama when I'm not involved...

It's nice to watch this one unfolding in a potentially positive direction!

Rebecca Jo said...

WWWOOOOWWWW... .look at the change!!! change can be a SLOW process... watch, you two are going to be best friends when its over! :)

Cant wait to see the whole outfit together... thats the cooelst thing!!!

~Kristen~ said...

"Are you just carma-lizing this with your own sweetness?"

Housewife savant...love it!!!

Well, this is interesting indeed. Do you think someone said something to her after her rudeness during the makeup lesson? Whatever it was, at least it seems like maybe she is making an effort!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

hmmmm, very interesting turn of events! maybe angelcel is right, it was just extreme shyness? who knows, at least she's talking now! :-)

Laura said...

Wow this IS quite the turn of events! I starting reading your blog mid-smackdown and now I think I am caught up and just in time for the call-off. (Would it be bad to admit I was kind of hoping for some action? Cause if it would be then I totally didn't!)

Yankee Girl said...

I'm so glad she is coming around. You should post pics of you in all your gear!

Lucy said...

I was wondering if she was super shy but then being rude to the instructor, that sounds more snobbish.

Waiting to hear how she is by the end of the class!!!

Jen said...

I don't think she is changing. You should have givin her a taste of her own medicine and looked at her like she had 3 eyes when she put in her 2 cents. Okay Okay I'll settle down :)She COULD be turning around but I'd still keep your friends close and your enemies closer Haha. Can't wait to read what happens next!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Maybe she reads your blog? Funny thought.

Aleta said...

I sure hope this is a new leaf for her. Maybe because you didn't cater to the ridiculous attitude from before that she admires you and wants to friend up.

Yankee Girl said...

I left an award for you on my blog!

Kristin said...

Maybe she reads your blog and realized she was being a biotch?? Ah ha ha ha

Stephanie Faris said...

Okay, I took belly dancing lessons and it wasn't NEARLY this much fun. We didn't even wear costumes. I feel gypped!

Lisa Paul said...

Don't trust those Beyotches! They are planning something.

And if you need some costume choices, I've got some old curtain sheers that might work. Just string on some Cheeseballs and even Ariel will be impressed.

Amanda said...

Since mine is only 17 yards...

Bah!

I have decided that you are an awesome writer and that no matter what you write about (butt ticks anyone?) you make me smile.

Yeah!!! I am so glad that Heathers has upgraded to jut Mean Girl status. Maybe she'll even get to Beaches someday.

Later hip swinging sista.

bigmamacass said...

Whoa!!!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

p.s. it's no Oscar, but hey, it's an award! :-) so come and get it!
http://www.mynetfinds.blogspot.com/2009/08/fridays-freewrite-friday-freebies.html

Janna Bee said...

I've still got your back. She could still turn!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

That's strange. Maybe she found your blog and got scared? ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...