Thursday, July 16, 2009

R.I.P. Crocs

I came across this article today on the demise of Crocs. I had been following the meteoric rise of Crocs in the news and was amazed at how well the company had been doing. However, things are no longer looking rosy. The company went from a profit of $168 million in 2007 to a loss of $185 million last year. A loss of $185 million! OUCH!

The article puts much of the demise on the fact that the shoes were virtually indestructible and therefore why would someone buy a second pair. But, I'm not so sure about this theory. I've only owned one pair of Crocs, and it was the ballet shoe style, since the original Crocs were much too wide for my feet and made them look huge. I wore my Crocs a few times but then discovered that my feet would get slippery sweaty from the rubber *not that you wanted to know this* and since they didn't come in half sizes, my ankle got pinched and that made me grumpy.

Could it be that people have just gotten tired of walking around looking like they have huge elephant feet? or that people are fickle with shoes? Sure, a pair of shoes can be indestructible, but tastes change long before a regular pair of shoes is worn through. Plus if there is a brand someone likes, they will often pick up more of the same. I'm not buyin' it.

But, guess who has been tapped to help save the company? George Clooney! Pretty much the last person I could see walking around in Crocs. Perhaps he could wear them to the next red carpet event with his Armani suit? Lots of luck with that!

Now, where was I. Oh yeah, googling Dance Paws. Does Crocs make any of those?

22 comments:

Blue State Cowgirl said...

Wait, this cannot be. When we were in China last year, EVERY kid was wearing Crocs. And kids grow out of shoes at the rate of twice a year. So unless they were all wearing Chinese rip-offs, Crocs must have been minting it just in the Asian market.

Amy@Bitchin'WivesClub said...

Well, now, I HAD to come over after your comment, didn't I? ;) Sorry about not visiting.... I had to cut down my blogging to make it through the hysterical last two months and I am still trying to get back in the swing of things. Twitter has gotten to be much more my speed and it is hard for me to make the switch between the two mediums. *~*

Now about these crocs.... We've worn out several pairs and have re-purchased them. That being said, we haven't bought any this year b/c we have jumped on the Keen sandal bandwagon. The crocs are just so ugly that I can't bear to wear mine in public anymore.

I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

If anyone can make me buy Crocs George Clooney can. Will come over to help me try them out? If so I'm game.

Heather said...

I've always thought Crocs were unbearably ugly! The only people who can get away wearing them, where they don't look absolutely disgustingly hideous, are little kids. Now only if the same fate would befall Ugs boots. Ew.

Christina said...

I here Crocs has responded to this news articles already. I'm curios what they had to say... Google search time.

Alicia said...

yeah so not a fan of the crocs...my boys however, love them...sigh...

Tammy Howard said...

I've never broken down and bought a pair, but my girls both had them. I never saw the appeal. It was a trend, and trends run their course...

Kathie @ my net finds said...

I second what Heather said!!!!

"I've always thought Crocs were unbearably ugly! The only people who can get away wearing them, where they don't look absolutely disgustingly hideous, are little kids. Now only if the same fate would befall Ugs boots. Ew."

amen sista.

Joy said...

I'm sorry for the people that are going to be losing their jobs to this situation. But I am proud to say that I never owned a pair of those things. ;o)

Yankee Girl said...

I've always meant to jump on the crocs bandwagon but apparently I always kept missing this pickups. Oh well. I'll guess I'll have to do it soon.

Lucy said...

I have never worn a Croc! I'm thinking to have that kind of loss there is some bad business sense going on at that company!

Kristin said...

Oh my darling Clooney...Why?

Beth said...

I hate Crocs... and I have never had a pair. We have tons and tons of kids AND teachers at school who were these ugly shoes everyday.

theselfloveproject said...

i hate crocs..

it was good to catch up with your blog after our vacation..i have finally updated mine too..

Lemondrop Marie said...

I totally wanted to to get a pair of the cuter new sandals they came out with last year, I just never got around to it. I am bummed to have not at least tried them.
Pooor crocs.

Rebecca Jo said...

I need to stock up then if they go out of business cause I LOVE my crocs!! I got them to wear in the winter because they show off my knitted socks!!!!

My dogs have gotten ahold of a pair & chewed through the strap - doesnt stop me from wearing them!

parentingBYdummies said...

Hubby will be so happy! He hates Crocs, especially when I put them on the kids. Thanks for stopping by my happy place yesterday. Hope to see you again soon:)

Debbie said...

I buy a pair a day if George would deliver them!

~Kristen~ said...

I am Kristen and I'm a Croc-O-Holic! Yup! I admit! I loooove my Crocs! They are literally THE fugliest shoes EVER and I don't care! They are THE comfiest shoes ever, too! I have problem feet and Crocs have been a God-send! I guess I need to stock up now!

Tina said...

I hate Crocs. Happy to see them go! They are so ugly, and they make my feet sweat too. Who wants ugly smelly feet? Not this girl. I will stick with my $2 flip-flops!

Amanda said...

George Clooney. Humph. Like I would buy something cause *he said so. Now. If Sarah Palin came out and told me to buy them...
....nope. Not her either.

Guess I am just not a crocs fan!

Blessigns-
Amanda

Janna Bee said...

Crocs are too expensive for me and my cheap family. I also think they are so ugly! Just my two cents... I am not a croc lover...Of course my kids are wearing cheap Children's Place knockoffs, but they were only 7.50, not 40.00.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...