Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Carma Takes on the Masters (LOL)

More sights and quips from our trip to come, but in the meantime, a new reader to my blog inquired if I had any of my artwork on my blog. Evidently, she had read my bio where I say that my artwork is more "who did it and ran than Rembrandt." Someone read my bio! Someone read my bio!!

I plan to post some of my "original" pieces in the future, but during the trip I took photos of some of the paintings that I did studies of years ago. I thought it would be fun to post the originals as I photographed them in the museums- and then my versions.

First, VanGogh's "Wheat Field with Cypresses" (or as we like to refer to it "Cypri").

The Master (on display at The MET):

The Carma Version:
You'll notice several differences. The first thing is that the scale of the painting has been changed completely. This is due to the fact that I never measure anything or prepare in advance. (That's how I roll - but it doesn't make for a precise copy of anything - recipes included!)

Secondly, Picasso's "The Studio":

The Master (on display at MOMA):

The Carma Version:


Picasso's "Girl Before a Mirror" (as seen at MOMA):

A one minute study by me (my colors were limited as well as the time!):

And here's a piece I did not see on our trip, but which I also painted, Picasso's "Woman in Studio":

And the Carma Version:


It took me forever to get the angle of the head/nose correctly, and I never quite managed to do it!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this artistic journey!

28 comments:

~Kristen~ said...

Girl, you are an artiste!!! These are great!!!

Tammy Howard said...

I am humbled with respect. Beautiful.

Amanda said...

Whoa.

I should not tell you this..

I can't...

It would really just reveal how lame I am...

no. I won't.

Great job!

God bless-
Amanda

OK!! I HAVE TO. I LIke YOURS better. Is that so lame?? THe real ones are beautiful and all, but there is something about yours that screams, that should be in my house and my walls for all to see!
:)

You ROCK!

Rebecca Jo said...

HOLY COW girlie... that is some amazing stuff right there!!!

Yankee Girl said...

You are so talented!

And I read your bio too...remember our Element connection!

You should post more of your work. Do you sell it? I would be interested in a knock-off!

Kristin said...

Um, how did I not know that you are a FABULOUS artist???

The Blonde Duck said...

Thanks for the love on my SITS day! Hope you come back to the Pond!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

You are very talented. Lovely work.

Housewife Savant said...

Carma you friggin' ROCK.

Kathie @ my net finds said...

You are so talented, I love all of them! I agree with Amanda, I like yours better :-) Do you sell them? Or do you ever give one away in a giveaway (hint, hint....just teasing!) :-)

Beth said...

Dang girl! You can juggle AND paint? You are just amazing!

Blue State Cowgirl said...

I love it. Your paintings are the same as the masters -- except without the angst, drug abuse, mental problems. Kinder, gentler versions, as it were. So maybe, with your sunny disposition and happy life, you won't be able to produce something that could hang in the Met. But you could definitely paint something that would we would find comfortable to have in our homes. You need and Etsy store.

Joy said...

Well aren't you full of surprises! Well done!

Yaya said...

Are you serious?? You really painted these? AMAZING!!!!!!!! I'm blown away!

Lucy said...

Wow, you really should pursue your painting, especially if you enjoy it.

onebetamom said...

All are simply beautiful Carma! I can only paint my nails. And barely those.

For some reason, I really like how you did the trees in the Cypri. The wavy lines/branches are striking.

Jen said...

WOW! Those are awesome!

angelcel said...

It's not easy to reproduce a painting and, honestly, you've done these well and with your own soul shining through. Have you any of your own originals to show us?

Christina said...

That's terrific!! I am so jealous.
I still need help drawing stick people.

Alicia said...

oh la la!! awesome job! you really should post your art more often!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Thanks for thinking about my feed question. I don't have feedburner though so don't worry about finding the answer. I'm going to look into getting feedburner.

Karen said...

Wow! Those are great, Carma! What are you doing hawking cheeseballs???

Janna Bee said...

Wow yours are awesome! Color Me impressed!

Two Pretty Little Skirts said...

very nice! Some one is hiding their talent!

Dawn

Janet said...

Stopping by from SITS. I love this posting! Those are some of my favorite artists also, and your versions are fabulous too! I especially love "your Van Gogh." It looks softer than the original. Very nice!

Mark said...

Wow is that a cheeseball barrel that I see in your copy of The Girl before the Mirror? Crud I just moved the laptop and now it disappeared again, maybe if I the laptop up to the mirror it'll appear again.

You really need to put your stuff up on eBay!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Wow! What an impressing artsy fartsy side you have, Carma.

Sarah Rahman said...

Lovely pieces of art, Carma.

I would like to thank you for paying a visit to my blog and reading it.

Take care and stay blessed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...