Monday, July 6, 2009

A Bunch of "Regular Lawbreakers"

Not sure if you have kids who watch Thomas the Tank Engine, but there is one episode where one of the engines is referred to as "a regular lawbreaker" (said in British accent) and we love to use that expression whenever we run afoul of the law. (yes, we like to recycle quotes from shows over and over - esp since it has been almost 10 years since VC watched Thomas.)

You are not gonna believe this one! Two days after we got back from our stealth vacation, which you probably figured out from the skyline and "artwork" (aka "pee pee hat") was to NYC, I was vacuuming out the suitcases. Yes, I'm one of those! Gotz to keep things tidy!

I put away my bag and MB's bag and was vacuuming out VC's bag, when I noticed something that keep shifting around in the outside pocket of his bag. It is one of those pockets that is basically the size of the bag and it zips around on 3 sides (not that this has anything to do with the story). Anyway, I about died when I opened the zipper and discovered not one but TWO pocket knives that had been in his suitcase and had gone through airport security not once but TWICE!!!! (VC forget that he had brought them on our Mother's Day camping trip and left them in his suitcase- which is not surprising since his suitcase sits in the same spot on the floor in his room for weeks before he even contemplates emptying it, usually with much prodding from me!)


This is all very ironic because my backpack- that had barely anything in it- was the one that was searched and run through the X-ray machine two times. It is also amusing because we carefully made sure none of our liquids was over 3 oz and that they all fit in the quart size bag, including deodorant sticks and handiwipes in case those could be construed as non-solids. We made sure nothing was left to chance.

Well there you have it. Another day in the life of the "regular lawbreakers." And now I'm even more convinced that I would be a good fit for a job in airport security. Miss a couple of pocket knives, oh well, move onto the next bag while looking "official." Yeah, I could do that!

17 comments:

Kathie @ my net finds said...

I'm such a dweeb, I thought it was going to be some kind of small animal that you found had been moving around in the pocket! LOL. what a dork I am!

Yankee Girl said...

You are such a criminal! At least you didn't try to take a lighter, that would have caused serious trouble!

And I too thought you had brought home some sort of creature!

Christina said...

Gotta love that elite airport security... Maybe you just looked like a lawbreaker.

Kristin said...

Yet my Chanel lip gloss was discovered. Boo.

Tammy Howard said...

We use the term 'lawbreaker' around here pretty liberally, too. and our Thomas watching, with two girls, was not only a decade ago, but sporadic at best. Now I'm wondering where we got that.

And I'm a little afeered, now that I know nogoodniks like your clan are boarding planes with weapons willy nilly.

Lucy said...

Oh, my gosh, see, you why I get in tither about things. They confiscated my Mary Kay products because they were too LARGE and we all know I was going to BLOW the frickin' plane up with Mary Kay and then you the TRUE law breaker (lol) gets away with pocket knives because you know you can take a plan down with those too (ha! ha)

See, now I feel better and now my blood pressure is nice and low (lol)

theselfloveproject said...

not only the post is fun...

i loved reading all these commonts too..
lol!

Fred G. said...

I've also made it through airport security with a knife in my bag, but I've been stopped for having a bottle of water. Go figure.

Blue State Cowgirl said...

Good to know all the Homeland Security is on the ball.

angelcel said...

And I've always felt so *safe* travelling through US airports because the security staff are so burly and gruff compared to here (including the men). ;)

...I jest, but, it makes you think dunnit? It's bonkers that they'll insist on confiscating silly things like nail clippers (like anyone's going to get 'nail clippered' to death) and yet the truth is that even a Bic biro could be pretty deadly in the right hands. (Or am I revealing the secrets of my MI5 training there)?

Rebecca Jo said...

Nice... they let those go through, but I've had friends had their knitting needles taken away!

~Kristen~ said...

Bwaaah! Gotta love the TSA!

Papermoonies said...

OMG no way that is disturbing to say the least!!! they did not even notice...
wow
so where is your art?
Britt
http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com

Yaya said...

That's kinda scary.

Whisper said...

Interesting post :)

Alicia said...

dang u guys are rebels!! i thought maybe he snuck home a hotel towel or something...

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Scary what security misses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...