Monday, July 20, 2009

Blog Hoppin'

This week's theme is recipes. Since I am a vegetarian, I picked a vegetarian recipe that I make frequently. It may or may not have come from *cough* the back of a can *cough.*

But, don't let that deter you, it really is quite tasty. The vinegar and hot sauce make it nice and zesty! As another incentive, I just learned that on average bean eaters weigh less than non-bean eaters. It's time to break out the Beano, baby!

Traditional Black Beans and Rice
(makes 6-7 servings)

1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup onion, chopped fine
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped fine
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1 can (15 oz.) Bush's Seasoned Recipe Black Beans, drain and reserve juice
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon garlic salt
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 cups cooked rice
Lime wedge or sliced mango (optional)

In large skillet, heat olive oil. Cook onion and green pepper until tender. Stir in tomatoes, beans, thyme and garlic salt, and cook 3 minutes. Add vinegar, pepper sauce, and reserved juice and continue to cook 5 minute. Serve over rice. Garnish with lime wedge or sliced mango (optional).


Blog Hoppers: Please enter my giveaway!




MckLinky Blog Hop

10 comments:

Christina said...

lol... I'm a bean eater too so no worries.. Blame it on the dog. Hmmm.... I think I have this recipe also. Where did I see it again? Oh yeah.... on a can in the pantry. :-)

Proud Parents of Halainah Grace said...

My daughter won't eat meat. This is perfect and chock full of protein.

Many Blessings,
Deanna

Tammy Howard said...

One of my daughters is a vegetarian and we try to eat vegetarian about 75% of the time. This one sounds good.

Yaya said...

I just love the recipes you can find on the can!

Rebecca Jo said...

oops - more then 5 ingredients.. I cant deal :) You wont see me on this blog hop.. I'm cookless :)

Rebecca Jo said...

oops - more then 5 ingredients.. I cant deal :) You wont see me on this blog hop.. I'm cookless :)

~Kristen~ said...

This sounds soooo good! I love black beans!!! And I buy them a lot...I guess I better start reading the cans! :-) I have been making an effort to incorporate more and more meatless meals in to our lifestyle. I truly want to get to a point where I am meat-free. I find I just don't like it as much as I used to, and I have a HUGE love for animals so I have a hard time reconciling my eating meat with my love for animals. I am getting there....slowly but surely!

JennyMac said...

Eating black bean soup right now (yes, multi-tasking). This looks great.

and the word verification is: dishin'. How funny.

Lucy said...

My husband would kick my you know what if there was no meat on the table BUT I thought it sounded good!

Alicia said...

oohhhh that looks so good!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...