Monday, June 29, 2009

How Does She Do It?

A little less controversial post today!

Those of you who have been following my blog since the beginning, probably quickly noticed that I Ain't No Martha Stewart! In fact, the title of this post is what MB proclaims after I throw together a "meal" from whatever I find in the fridge that day.

There are a plethora of foodie blogs with glorious photos of well put together meals served with impeccable "presentation." I truly have no desire to go there, although I'm sure certain family members would not mind...especially on days like yesterday, when I was able to make almost a complete meal out of a Gift Basket I ordered from a wine website.

The backstory: Almost a year ago, I won a gift certificate and it has been sitting on my counter because, well, frankly, because we mostly buy cheap wine and figured it would be a waste to use the card on some pricey bottles of wine. Again. Not Martha Stewart. (should I be admitting all of this on my blog? Classy readers, hang with me please!)

Last week I finally decided to go ahead and order something. The gift baskets looked so spectacular, I thought it might be best to send someone a gift. But MB insisted that we should enjoy it ourselves (ok, twist my arm!). I felt a little guilty (but not for long after I saw all the amazing gift baskets to choose from!) Once I saw there was a special on a gift basket that included smoked salmon and cheese straws, I knew that it was "The One." Smoked salmon for MB and cheese straws for VC. Oh, and Strawberry Truffles for moi!

Here's a picture of the basket, minus our dinner goodies:



Last night VC had a party to go to with a friend, so I knew he would only need a "light" dinner. I had already been snacking so I wouldn't need much either. Which only left one choice: It was time to open the gift basket that had been sitting for 4 days because it was so lovely I didn't want to break the seal.

Salsa Picante chips, Black Bean and Corn Salsa, Cheese Straws and Smoked Salmon- even Martha would be impressed!

Added bonus: Learn about the planets and presidents while fine dining!

Have you ever made dinner from a gift basket or put off opening it so as not to ruin the perfect presentation? Ever got food poisoning from a gift basket? (kidding!)

16 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, I love gift basket dinners! Really, could anything be better -- or easier? People need to send more gift baskets with food!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Looks like a great dinner. Yummy. I've never made dinner from a gift basket but I have eaten enough fruit from one of those fruit arrangements to count as dinner.

Kathie @ my net finds said...

Looks awesome!!! I've never had dinner from a gift basket! Well, I did get a gift basket from Cracker Barrel once because I complained about a lousy meal there with poor service, so they sent me one to make up for it. It had pancake mix, jam...can't remember what else. It was good though and we had a nice breakfast :-) I wish I would get a gift basket that I could make dinner with cause I would do it in a heartbeat!!!

Rebecca Jo said...

I've never had a basket like that before... I'm totally intrigued now... it all looks yummy though!!!

Tammy Howard said...

Delicious, easy, and fancy schmancy - you go!

Alicia said...

i can't say i've ever done that...but i just may have to try!

Janna Bee said...

Those Pepperidge Farm gift baskets- I lived off of one during christmas break my sophomore year in college. That's when I realized that cheese product is not really cheese!

Your gift basket looks MUCH yummier!

Yankee Girl said...

I love all kinds of wine, but usually buy the cheap stuff because I drink it so fast!

I too have a GC for a wine store that I have yet to use because I am guessing the store doesn't sell boxed wine!

And did I say thank you for all the helpful tips? I can't remember...so thanks so much!

Yaya said...

Lol! Love your dinner!

Joy said...

That's a pretty sweet looking basket! Although I'm going to have to Google what a cheese straw is....

Mommyof2girlz said...

Thanks for being a great blogging buddy, stop by and pickup The Humane Award :)

Kristin said...

I totally used to rip apart my mom's gift baskets when I was younger. Ok, that was last year.

Two Pretty Little Skirts said...

Mmmmm yummy! Looks good!
Dawn

Amanda said...

OH my goodness. The thought of eating *fish* from a gift basket.

Brilliant.

Well. Lets see. I don't think anyone really sends me gift baskets and I can't recall buying one for myself, so i would say that I have no experience on this topic and will have to just applaud you for your quick supper time thinking!

Blessings-
Amanda

Lucy said...

I have never done that one for dinner and I am not judging because Lord knows some of my dinners need to be switched out for your Gift Basket dinner!

Shawn said...

What a great idea! Finally back from my vacay----missed your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...