Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hunger Strike or Publicity Ploy??

I am soooo tired of hearing about celebrities going on hunger strikes to protest this cause or that cause.

When I heard the other day that Mia Farrow was ending her hunger strike in protest against the atrocities occurring in Darfur after 12 days (falling short of her planned 21 days) because of weakness. I thought, "Do you mean to tell me you were becoming weak after 12 days of fasting-- that's odd!"

Here's a quote from People.com: "...she has been eating oranges and drinking soup to regain her strength. "I feel so much better with the food in my system. I feel so much more peaceful," she says.

You have got to be kidding me? You feel so much better with food in your system?

Cynical Me thought, "How much of the hunger strike is about raising publicity for your cause and how much is about raising publicity for yourself--- hmmmmm?"

Seriously, do you think celebrities going on hunger strikes is going to make any difference? I'd love to hear your thoughts while I go and grab a sandwich.


P.S. While I may not be tackling any international causes, I AM ready should the Swine Flu come a-knockin' at my door. Karen recently held a contest on her blog and yours truly (how pompous!) was the winner. I won by evaluating the situation, calculating around what hour Karen would be meeting her mom for dinner, estimating that her mom would call the night before and therefore correctly guessing the day and time that her "crazy hysterical" (disclaimer: not my words) mom would call to warn Karen not to go on her trip to Mexico/cruise. I am happy to report that Karen is going on her trip and was able to borrow a piece of luggage from her mom that will hopefully not become contaminated with swine flu.

Here I am posing with the contents of the Swine Flu Survival kit that Karen assembled. The contents: hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes, a bag of Hot N' Spicy Fried Pork Skins, TheraFlu and a jumbo box of Kleenex. (There was a run on air masks in Karen's area.) I've never felt more prepared for anything in my life! Thanks, Karen.

26 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

I think it's great that celebrities support causes they believe in, but a hunger strike to support a cause? Surely, there must be a more effective way...?

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Mark said...

I'm left wondering if a hunger strike for a good cause is the new convienent cover for a celebrity "cleanse/detox"?

The next great pan(dem)ic?
Cheeseball flu!

Rebecca Jo said...

I went on a hunger strike to bring awareness to the cruelty in offices... then I took my lunch

MuseSwings said...

I figure it was just one of her planned diets. 12 days. I'd be dead in 12 hours.

carma said...

Buckeroomama-
I would think there are PLENTY of more effective ways :D

Mark-
It beats drinking that concoction of lemon juice, maple syrup and cayenne pepper that I heard about the other day!

BTW, I think I've built up plenty of immunity against the Cheeseball flu :D

Rebecca Jo-
ha ha! I think I'll do the same- no, wait; I already ate my lunch

Muse Swings-
Yeah, this isn't such a big deal, because celebrities don't eat anyway!!!
carma

Kristin said...

Yeah, I don't get it. Seems like there would be practical ways to get your message across. Plus, the hubs would force feed me food as I become a raging biotch after a few hours without food.

Kelly said...

Like celebrities eat anyway! :)

Karen said...

Glad to see the package made it to you in once piece. Maybe you should re-gift those pork rinds to poor, starving Mia...

Seriously, people who are already bordering on anorexic really should not go on hunger strikes!

Tammy Howard said...

It doesn't even make any sense - thank you for making it sound just as ridiculous and self serving as it is.

Debbie said...

I've never understood a hunger strike either. What's next - a new shoe strike?

Sarah said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! The survival kit is great, I love that she included Hot and Spicy pork rinds!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

lol!

congrats on winning :-)

I have an award for you over at my blog, stop by to pick it up! :-)

Lucy said...

I never really got Mia Farrow, anyways. Oh, well, I guess she got what she intended publicity and a diet. A win-win for a celebrity!!

Now, those pork rinds are looking tasty!!

Yaya said...

I wish I had the strong will to go on a hunger strike. Then I could easily lose those 16 pounds I wanna lose. ;)

carma said...

Kristin-
So true. My husband says the "fangs come out" when he tries stop me from overeating- and it's true!

Kelly-
Only when the cameras are around and they are lunching at The Ivy.

Karen-
I know! She already looks sunken in- and that photo was probably taken before the hunger strike..

Tammy Howard-
Thanks :D

Debbie-
or a Jimmy Choo strike?

Lucy-
win-win fer sure!

Yaya-
Yeah, you'll never catch me on one of those; I love food too much!
carma

Shawn said...

Well, maybe she couldn't afford lipo, so this was a better way to lose that weight and still get in the limelight.

Right---like her personal chef wasn't passing her secret food under the door....

Christine said...

Oh thats so cool that you won, As for Mia Farrow hasnt she been going crazy since the whole whatshisface woody guy?

carma said...

Shawn-
You just know it! doubtful that any of these "celebrities" cook

Christine-
Woody Allen? Yeah, he's an interesting one, too- marrying his adopted daughter and all!
carma

Janna Bee said...

Wow, Mia Farrow is very lame. Congrats on winning the swine flu kit. Looks like you are safe for now.

PS My in-laws brought face masks to my nieces birthday party. They probably could have used your kit!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

it's me again! you've been tagged check out my latest post for the meme :-)

Cynthia at A Shimmy in My Spirit said...

Just wanted to let you know that your canvas is on the way.

nikkicrumpet said...

Yeah...her going without food is going to save the planet??? Their arrogance always makes me laugh. I also loved the rotating hunger strike that was going on...people were taking turns skipping food for a day each. WOO...don't knock yourselves out or anything.

carma said...

Janna Bee-
I'm assuming the face masks were a party joke (hopefully?)

Kathie-
I'll be participating! Lots of useless stuff that I like :-)

Cynthia- Yay!

nikkicrumpet-
Can you imagine the stress of having to go on a one day "diet"?
Evidently we are not as hardy as celebrities!
carma

Julie said...

How does her starving herself make anything better...sheesh! I've just had to go without food for over 24 hours for a test, I personally did not enjoy it.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Mia has always struck me as one of those more fragile celebs... Or I could be barking-mad like I suspect she is...

carma said...

Julie-
It is evidently a powerful way of affecting change- who knew???

Woman of No Importance-
I'm 'fraid I've got to go with the latter explanation :D
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...