Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Going Behind the Cabin Curtains

[Warning: If your eyes glaze over at the very thought of seeing photos from other people's trips, this is not the post for you; if not, read on....]


As I alluded to in my earlier post, we spent Mother's Day weekend doing some "cabin camping." Here's how it all came about: over a month ago the boys planned a fishing trip with a friend of MB's. The trip coincided with Mother's Day weekend. In order that they didn't feel guilty leaving me behind on Mother's Day, they made me feel guilty if I entertained any thoughts about not joining them. A bit of "guilt transference."

While some of you moms may have been celebrating the weekend at a luxurious spa getting a massage and seaweed mask, this is where I spent the weekend:


VC Was glad I came along, since he was looking forward to having someone to balance his weight out on the see-saw.


We also went swinging- not as Swingers- on swings!!!:


Here's a peek at the deluxe sleeping arrangements:


I've written before about our lack of extended cable TV. When we travel, it is a treat to see the stations we normally do not get at home, such as the History Channel and my fave: E!

While the boys were out on the lake fishing, I decided I'd catch up on some True Hollywood Stories, but unfortunately most of the afternoon on the E! Channel was devoted to a marathon edition of "Going Postal." Who wants to hear about massacres when there is gossip to be had!!!!! Here's our TV setup:

We went on a little hike:
and used the toilet tank as a pseudo dish drain (when else would you get the opportunity to do this?):

All in all, it was a fun weekend. To top it off, when we got home, I had the honor of spending hours on Mother's Day washing the mountain of linens and laundry that were dumped in the laundry room following the trip...seriously! I have a feeling the boys are planning on making this an annual event. I think I know who ended up getting pampered on Mother's Day!

In other news, it looks like I have a taker for Cheeseball Tuesday. Yay!! Hoping to post the photos next Tuesday!

25 comments:

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Well it looks like you had fun despite roughing it. I'd start telling stories of moms at spa and hope they get the hint for next year though.

Aileigh said...

Yeah, lots of fun... Um me, camping, no... I would have laughed at all three men in my house at the thought! :) I hate being outnumbered! They need a "How To Treat Your Mom On Mother's Day" Boot camp for husbands and fathers of boys. My mother's day was nothing special. A card that hubby didn't even have Tater But draw on. He just signed his name and had him bring it to me! *sigh*

Rebecca Jo said...

I wouldnt mind camping as long as I could stay caught up on my E! News Gossip!!! :-)

And holy Cow... that is a major high up-swing there!!!

Tammy Howard said...

I love camping, actually! Looks like it was a lot of fun!

Kimba said...

Better you than me! I'm so not one to go camping, though I suppose I COULD suffer through a cabin over a tent! I was treated to Bed & Breakfast camping for Mother's Day, instead! Thanks for stopping by my blog! It was great to have SITS visitors!

Suburbia Steph said...

Nothing says Happy Mother's Day quote like having to do copious amounts of laundry. That's what I did. Oh, and scrubbed toilets & cleaned bathrooms too. Whoopee!

Suburbia Steph said...

Oh, and I couldn't live without E! I don't know what I'd do if I didn't get my daily dose of Chelsea Lately!

Fred G. said...

At least you stayed dry.

Vivienne said...

You managed to camp in a cabin. That's talent. I'm thinking perhaps the Loop Trail went in both directions, um, because it's a loop....? (I'm just sayin')

Thanks for stopping by my blog. (Am a bit confused by several "welcome to SITS" comments. Can you help? I joined a while back, soooo...?)

Cynthia at A Shimmy in My Spirit said...

Camping sounds great as long as I can take my laptop, iPhone and there's good coffee.

I like how you write on your pictures. It's like keeping a journal on your photographs.

Southern Pathways said...

Looks like a fun Mother's Day weekend (minus all the laundry)! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Blue State Cowgirl said...

Glad to see the Cheese Balls made the trip: if only in Photoshop.

You neglected to tell us where this sylvan paradise is. And would this be a KOA Kozy Kabin? I have fond memories from my cross-country roadtrip of the many Kozy Kabins we booked. The hayride outside of Amarillo was great, as was the Kajun Kozy Kabin in Louisiana.

Cynthia at A Shimmy in My Spirit said...

Carma

You are one of 10 bloggers who have commented on my blog in the past who have won a gift certificate in my first give away. (Go to ashimmyinmyspirit.com to see the post and link to your blog)

I don't have your email address to send you the gift certificate. If you can email me, I will send you the details.

thanks,
Cynthia

Roshni Mitra Chintalapati said...

sounds totally exciting! The swing part looks scary though!!

Yaya said...

Thanks for the pictoral review!

Yankee Girl said...

Looks like you had a great weekend!

I love camping and now I'm totally in the mood.

carma said...

Secret Mom Thoughts-
The boys are not too quick at picking up on hints ;-)

Aileigh-
That is a sad card situation :-( It would have taken just a few minutes to get a quick scribble...

Rebecca Jo-
That was my plan. To park my butt and turn on E!

Tammy Howard-
I may complain, but it a good time was had by all :-)

Kimba-
Bed and Breakfast for Mother's Day- lovely :-) someone was thinking!

Suburbia Steph-
cleaning bathrooms on Mother's Day- that's a travesty!

Fred G-
Torrential downpour as soon as we got the fire going to cook dinner, but other than that we stayed nice and dry :D

Vivienne-
Thanks for recognizing my camping "talent" LOL

Cynthia-
I'm with ya. Luckily the cabin had Wi-Fi. That's all I needed; Oh, and the soap I forgot to pack (doh!)

Southern Pathways-
exactly! subtract the laundry and it wasn't half bad ;-)

Blue State-
The cabin was in rustic NC backcountry. I'm not sure you would be up for it as it is in Red country ;-) It was not a Kozy Kabin although I wish it was since I love that name :D

Roshni-
My son is a daredevil at times. w I was completely paranoid that he would go over the top and said so on numerous occasions. Mom is so fun to have along on a trip - not!

Yaya-
Thanks :-)

Yankee Girl-
Yay! Glad to have provided some inspiration..
carma

Shawn said...

I think that your cabin is so cute---quaint is the word, right?

Looks fun to me!

Karen said...

That's just sad, Carma. I think they owe you a do-over...

Memento - Terri said...

Hi
Thanks for the comments & for finding me on SITS. I love reading all the great blog posts and meeting everyone.
Oh camping I can smell the fire now and taste the smoores. I have actually tried to make smoores in the microwave and with our gas fireplace. Sounds like you had a great time.

Christina said...

More power to you girl.

I loathe camping... Don't know why. I just do.

Did Housekeeping leave those cheese balls on your pillow? ;-)

carma said...

Shawn-
Yep. Quaint is the word, or maybe more like two words: Quaint and dank smelling ;-)

Karen-
Doubtful that I'll get one :D but I can try!

Terri -
It wasn't half bad- nor were the S'mores :-)

Christina-
Dang- I forgot to leave a tip for the Cheeseballs and sleeping bag turn down!
carma

nikkicrumpet said...

Holy cow woman...next year let them go camping and you need to get Room Service at the Hilton!!!!

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Five Star (Camping, that is) Style, most definitely, Carma! I love your pics and the comments you've written over them! I wish I'd been there... Well, I might have been terrified over your son's heights on the swing... Too neurotic for my own good, really! x

carma said...

nikkicrumpet-
I will remind them of this next year, but you just know I'll be dragged along for another "fish trip" since the guy MB fishes with is making it a regular trip- and always on Mother's Day. (His wife enjoys camping.)

Woman of No Importance-
The whole time he was swinging recklessly, I was reminding him of my safety concerns :D went in one ear and out the other!
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...