Thursday, April 9, 2009

Something's Fishy

I mean other than that "cliche" of a title...

During the deluge we had a couple weeks back, MB and VC went on a fishing trip. They came home with this big bounty of monster fish ;-)
Well, half the bounty. The other half was consumed over the camping weekend. VC proclaimed that it "tasted just like chicken" after it had been breaded and fried.

But, my purpose of telling you this story is not to brag about their fishermen prowess, but rather to get your opinion on something that happened post-fishing trip.

VC's juggling partner stopped by the house the following day to pick him up for their juggling "gig" that evening. I was relieved that he did not come in the house, since it reeked of fish- the fish smell on MB's clothes from scaling the fish and the smell of the cooked fish that had been fried for dinner that evening.

However, after he dropped VC back at home, he came in to chat before leaving. As the conversation wrapped up, I felt compelled to mention that the strong scent in the house was due to MB's fishing trip. After all, I didn't want him to think I kept a stinky house.

MB didn't see why I felt the need to bring this up and thought I should have remained mum on the topic.

I know I have a bad habit of pointing out the obvious. I like to do this before others bring it up so as to avoid any potential embarrassment.

Got a big pimple on the tip of my nose, I'll point it out before you point it out; If I'm having a bad hair day, I'm going to work it into the conversation. After all, it's all about me! LOL

Something compels me to point out the obvious. I'm sure a shrink would have a field day with the origins of this quirk.


photo credit exfordy

The analogy of the Pink Elephant in the room makes absolutely no sense since if I was talking about the pink elephant it would no longer be the pink elephant, but I'm going to include it anyway since I took the time to Photoshop it and all...

Anyone else suffering from a similar "blurt it out before someone else does syndrome?"

12 comments:

Crazy Raincloud said...

i know i do!! I love the elephant though, we all know its there and no one mentions it!

Kelly said...

I'm terrible at it! I even tell myself I'm not going to do it, but I do anyway!

Ran into a girl from work at the store the other day, my son was wearing his "back up clothes" from daycare (which are not cool.) First thing I said to her was, "These aren't his normal clothes. He had an accident at school today." She so did not need to know that! Who cares? Me, I guess.

Heather said...

I do that stuff all the time. To let people know that I am aware of the problem and I'm not just skipping through life clueless.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Always, always - That inner dialogue thing - 'Oh, I'm sorry the house is a mess, I'm off with a bad back, y'know...' To folk who wouldn't even notice... Even if I were on fire! ...Even if I were juggling fire and standing on a pink elephant...

Heather said...

*Totally* me. There are so many times this happens and then after my hubby will be all "dude, why did you say that, no one ever would have noticed XY or Z if you hadn't pointed it out..."

I'd rather err on the side of making sure everyone is aware that I'm aware of XY or Z (be it zit, bad hair or bad smell in the house...) than have to stress out endlessly afterwards about "Hmmm, did they notice that and now think badly of me because of it but were just too polite to say anything?"

Quite the issue to have, isn't it? :P

Blue State Cowgirl said...

Hey,not that I'm Martha. But a few strategically placed dishes of white vinegar will take out that fish smell. Then you'll just have to blurt out why your house smells of vinegar!

Lucy said...

Do it all the time! Men just don't get it!!!
Love the pink elephant:)

carma said...

Crazy Raincloud-
Excellent comment; sadly, no prizes are available at this time; but you do get to say "FIRST" like the commenters on those big time blogs ;-)

Kelly-
I still remember running into a friend that I hadn't seen in years at the grocery store- when my son was about 3 and had been home all day in dumpy clothes since he was sick. Natch I had to point it out and kept on blabbering like an idiot!

Heather-
That's a good way of looking at it! Ensuring that we do not appear clueless :D

Woman of No Importance-
So very true! Others could pretty much care less...and are oblivious. I need to remember this for the next time!

Heather-
I see you are a "ruminator" just like me :-) Would have felt the same way afterwards had I neglected to point things out!

Blue State-
Did not think about using vinegar and yet I always have it at the ready in my handy spray bottle. Will keep this in mind for the next smelly occasion.

Lucy-
Either that or men just don't give a crap ;-)
carma

cmwheeler said...

It's like laughing at yourself. If you do it first, "they" have to laugh with you, not at you. I'm queen of this phenomenon myself, and unfortunately, there have been times when I was the only when laughing. This tends to make for a very awkward silence, and Pink Elephant takes a nice rest on my shoulder. So to speak...

Petula said...

Well, I... uh, no... well, yes! LOL. I always feel compelled to apologize for the condition of my home. I could have just swept, mopped, straightened and I'll still say, "Oh, excuse the mess..." I think a shrink would tell me that I'm looking for affirmation or something. Honestly, though, I'm ashamed of where I live, but that's another story. Thank God I have a roof over my head.

I'm sure it didn't smell that bad... ahem! :)

carma said...

cmwheeler-
I know EXACTLY what you mean; as after I point out the obvious, it is followed by this annoying "nervous giggle" that I have!

Petula-
The thing about the odor is I think my husband has lost his sense of smell, as he didn't "notice" it!!!
carma

nikkicrumpet said...

I do it too. when someone comes over and the house is a big freaking mess...I always have to point it out...so at least they know I know that I'm a slob lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...