Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just One More Trick

It's hard to miss the dark circles under my eyes. I've not been getting enough sleep lately. Of course, part of the blame falls on me and time spent into the midnight hours doing "important computer stuff."

The other part of the blame falls on me for falling for all excuses VC throws at me as his bedtime approaches. They result in him not getting into bed until 10:15 most nights. (Bad, Bad parent)

By the time he gets to sleep, I'm on my "second wind" and find all sorts of things to do which keep me up until around 11:30. On a side note, a co-worker (and there are only two of us employed at my place of business so you can hazard a guess who) often says, "You look tired. Are you feeling OK." After hearing this at least 10 times in the past few months, I may just need to blurt out, "My eyes ALWAYS look like this; I have 'sleepy eyes!' " Barring plastic surgery, they are not going to change shape or level of droopiness!" (see Exhibit A)

Droopy eyes aside, we all DO need to get more sleep. This recent quote from VC indicates he definitely must start getting to bed earlier: "I hate getting out of bed; Do you see how long it takes me to even attempt to get out of bed."

I am reminded of the days when he used to get into bed at a decent hour and sleep like a baby. Although, come to think of it, he fought sleep like a hellion back then as well. He was just the cutest little angel once asleep though:


These days when I fly into a panic upon realizing that it is 9:55 pm and he hasn't had a shower yet, the most common refrain I hear is:

"I'm just working on this last [juggling] trick. One more time. I think I can get it. I just want to record one more thing."

Or, alternately, "Can I download this song to my mp3 player? It will only take a second."

In summary, in this post we have learned that I am a "sleepy eyed pushover."


Interested in more bedtime excuses, check out: http://www.sylvaniaonlinestore.com
and http://blog.parentbloggers.com


P.S. when I ran this post past VC, his response was "There's no saving that post." Not one of my better ones, eh?

14 comments:

Mark said...

when I saw the topic I was wondering what track the topic train was heading towards but now that it's safe.....Let's just hope Juggling Boy plans for college entail every class starting after noon! (Geez who's talking from experience?????)

Oh and btw if the folks from What Not to Wear call, I didn't nominate you ;-)

carma said...

Mark-
Yeah, I gave the title a quick second thought and then figured I'd run with it :D

Noon may still be pushing it for Juggle Boy!

Oh, please please nominate me for some type of makeover- any type!!!
carma

carma said...

Mark-
Just realized you are probably referring to my photoshop writing skills, but please nominate me any way. You've saw the outfits I wore in my last video. Yawn.
carma

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Carma, you will not believe this, but one of our local schools is working on an 11 am start for teens, recognising the difficulties we all face!

Just imagine, you and I would then be at work, frantically ringing home to ensure they were outta bed!

I love the baby pic - Ahhh! I have one around that age, where he tumbled over asleep, fully clothed in his playpen one lunchtime, oh, and the ones where he fell asleep when he was eating!

carma said...

Woman of No Importance-
Our boys sure are "kindred spirits" - many, many similarities!

So true - by 11:00 we'd be at work, calling home to make sure they are awake and dressed by 10:00; not getting an answer then having to drive home to check; much too much trouble!!

I do agree with a later start time for teens though. They are not alert in the early hours (nor am I for that matter!)
carma

Janna Bee said...

Why in the world do people think that it's okay to say "you look tired" all of the time? Like you need to be reminded? Also methinks there is a lot of us bloggers who are walking around with circles under our eyes!

Lucy said...

I can't remember the last time I didn't look tired!

Ah, your little one is growing up. See they become little teenagers when they start the staying up late and getting up late. The cycle of life. (ha!ha!)

Blue State Cowgirl said...

Stressful times make for little sleep. Thank goodness I've discovered RFD-TV. There is nothing like the Louisiana Ag Report at 3AM to put you right to sleep. Check if they have it on your cable.

carma said...

Janna Bee-
Yes, my appearance has gone downhill since I've started blogging the midnight hours :-)

Lucy-
This whole teenage thing is frightening! He's turning into me with his staying up late and sleeping late :-)

Blue State-
The Louisiana Ag report!! Now that is a hoot. Does sound like a major snoozer. Unfortunately we do not have extended cable. But, I'm guessing that show would cure all sorts of insomnia.
carma

Jill of All Trades said...

Thanks for the visit.

Kaycee said...

My 6yo is already starting with the bedtime excuses, and I'm usually to distracted to notice the time.

He's a night owl like me and I'm a pushover.

Tina said...

I can relate to the lack of sleep. From stress to "late night blogging" I haven't been getting enough sleep myself.

And teenagers.....SCARY!

SouthernAccent said...

My little guy has fought sleep from day one and didn't sleep through the night until he was 2! Now, he's almost four, and the excuses get more creative every night!

carma said...

Kaycee-
Glad to see I'm not the only pushover :-)

Tina-
I have aged a lot since I started blogging and stopped getting sleep!

SouthernAccent-
The excuses will multiply with age and become more and more convincing (at least for a sucker like me :-)
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...