Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sardinia- Here I Come!!!!!!

Sardinia, Land of My Dreams...

Ever since my dad suggested a couple of years ago that we might consider Sardinia as a possible retirement location, MB and I have been toying with the idea. Not that either one of us is close to retirement age, just plannin' ahead. (Advance advanced planning: another one of my hangups)

We both love Italy (well, the Italy we remember from 20 years ago) and although MB isn't the most how shall I put it "flexible," I am encouraged that he is considering this "crazy idea." In case you are not familiar with Sardinia, you can find it on this map, just off the coast of Italy (click for larger image).

To my amazement, I recently discovered that Sardinia is in one of the The Blue Zones!!! Dan Beuttner's book on the subject highlights places in the world where people live longest and healthiest (dubbed The Blue Zones). Sardinia is among the 4 Blue Zones.

Beuttner was featured on the Today show last week where he discussed the keys to longevity that are found in these locations, including such things as a strong social network, exercising by doing things throughout your day, (not using a treadmill or going to gym like us in the U.S.), and good health care, among others. In The Blue Zones, people are 4 times more likely to make it to age 90 that those living in America.

It is a lifestyle that I would love to emulate some day: simple healthy living combined with lots of laughter (at least that's what the octogenarians were doing in the short video clip I watched). As long as I can get internet service in Sardinia, I know that you bodacious (when was the last time you heard that word?) blog readers will provide me with lots of laughter from abroad, as you do now :D Being that I am half Italian, I will blend in easily with the locals, provided they also wear olive colored quilted jackets.

BTW, I would have completed this post a lot faster had I not blown 20 minutes perusing through Ambush Makeovers on the Today Show website. Some of these transformations are *stunning*
I (insert whiny voice here) want an Ambush Makeover!!!

Ciao Bella!

P.S. I am not going to promote my giveaway in this blog post.

12 comments:

Blue State Cowgirl said...

But can you get your Tarleton and your Cheez Balls in Sardinia?

PunkyBean said...

Do they have winter there? I can't handle winter any longer.

I would love to go somewhere with a more simple lifestyle now. Like today. Can I bring my computer?

Mark said...

I am so there, a Blue zone/country filled with great food and lubricated by olive oil & wine. What more could you ask for? Oh yes, forget the internet connection as long as the scuba diving is good.

carma said...

Blue State-
That's where you come in!! Can you pretty please ship me a Tarleton and some Cheeze balls once I get there :D Kind of like your help with the mountain range photo - only on a bigger scale...

PunkyBean-
I just checked for some Sardinia stats and the chart seriously had only had 7 months!! I can tell you that it is 73.5 average temp in October-- I likey. And I'm definitely bringing the computer - that's it (and possibly MB) :D
Hope you are feeling better!

carma said...

Mark-
That is great news!! We can start our own little Sardinia Twitter Colony. Oh, but you'll have to borrow my laptop I see (never mind)
carma

Lucy said...

Sounds like heaven, I'm guessing you speak Italian?

I too am going to simplify as soon as my youngest graduates high school (next year). Due to the internet my husband will be able to commute, so he won't retire but we can head out to our retirement destination early!!!!
It helps that we are staying in the U.S.

carma said...

Lucy-
No Italian- but I'm a quick learner (not) The way things normally work around here, I'll still be stuck in suburban hell and never get to live the simple life in Sardinia- but a girl can dream :-)
You've only got one year to go!
carma

Susie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving such sweet comments! I hope to see you back there soon:-)

BIBI said...

Ummm...Sardinia. I like this place already. Sounds like a place I would love to visit.
Thank you for sharing the knowledge of it as a "Blue Zone".
Ciao Bella :)

carma said...

BIBI-
You and I are getting to be Blue Zone experts :-)
carma

Amy@Bitchin'WivesClub said...

This sounds awesome! I am in love with Italy, but haven't made it to Sardinia (yet).... but the lifestyle you describe (with the internet, of course!) is what my husband and I are looking for, too.

Right now, though, we are just trying to get through these child-rearing years without losing our minds or marriage!!!! :)

alessandra said...

Ciao bella! so you are half Italian, aha!
But you don't mention the amazingly beautiful seaside of Sardinia, that is caribbean like! and no sharks!
Oh, and I'm pretty sure they have broadband too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...