Monday, February 23, 2009

Put Me in, Coach ♪ ♫

I'm ready to play ♫ ♪ .... I can be Centerfield ♫ ♪

For a brief nanosecond yesterday, my life flashed before my eyes (and I'm afraid to say it wasn't all that intriguing). I almost thought I was going to be typing this blog post from a hospital bed - because there is no way I would give up on NaBloPoMo, it being so close to the end of the month and all!

Here's what transpired: While VC was juggling with his club (and clubs incidentally), MB and I went for a long walk, despite the forty degree temps and blustery winds. As we were finishing up the three mile walk that meandered through local neighborhoods, we crossed at a cross walk. We were about 10 feet away from the opposing curb, when we realized that the car that had just stopped at a stop sign and was turning right into our path did not appear to be slowing down. Surely he was going to stop at any second. Maybe??? No dice. Instead of slowing down, he accelerated. MB made it safely to the curb and was screaming for me to get out of the way.

Realizing that the car was speeding up and was just inches away with no signs of stopping, I pulled the best Ricky Henderson I could muster and dove for the curb.



Luckily, I was wearing this ridiculous get-up, which also included my quilted olive green coat (lots of padding).

I fell flat on the sidewalk with calves still in the street but out of the way of the car, skinning my knee as I hit the curb. Aside from a sore wrist from slamming down on the sidewalk, a bruised hip and some stiffness, I'm still kickin.'

By the way, I have to give props to Levis, because the impact, which caused the cut to my knee failed to rip a hole in the jeans!!! (A similar falling incident happened years back when I was wearing Tommy Hilfiger jeans- and those suckers were torn clear across the knee!!)

[Notice anything wrong with this picture? Well, I'm not gonna fix it since I don't feel like going back into Photoshop.]

BTW, it's still not too late to enter the giveaway!

13 comments:

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Carma, you poor thing - thankfully it was nothing worse than a skinned knee - You were very lucky - You should have lobbed those clubs at the vehicle's windshield! Take good care of yourself x

BIBI said...

Oh Carma, I am so glad that you are okay. Even though I do hope you'll forgive me for saying so, but I got a little chuckle out of imaging you diving for the curb.

That driver also deserves to be slapped. How dare he not see you in your olive green coat/vest? I love that color! :)

Take care darling! xoxo

carma said...

Woman of No Importance-
Awwww..thank you for your concern. The guy was not looking at all (which is what he said when he finally stopped) - so it would have definitely taken some impact to make him come to his senses!

BIBI-
Yes, imagine him not seeing me in my olive green coat!!!- it is the next best thing to a fluorescent coat ;-)
Glad that you are also a fan of olive green - so versatile that color!!
Thanks for the good wishes.
carma

Lucy said...

Well, now you have a perfectly good reason to no longer go for walks, too dangerous.
I'm glad you are o.k. had to be scary not being seen. Probably somebody texting.

Mark said...

I figure the guy in the car was entering your online contests by adding you or JannaBee as a Twitter friend on his phone (whilst driving).

Why didn't Cap'n Cheeseball use his superpowers to throw carmic super cheeseballs at the car and protect you? or scoop you up into the Cheesy cape of protection?

This isn't a way of pandering a sympathy vote from JannaBee, is it?

Just glad your ok, I mean the alternative picture of the cheese ball container in the hospital wouldn't have been a happy one.

Karen said...

Geez, Carma! Glad to hear you're OK. I hope the driver of the car at least stopped after your slid head first into the curb and then I hope you gave him a piece of your mind and maybe threw some cheeseballs at his sorry self.

carma said...

Lucy-
I agree, there I was trying to stay healthy and now I am all achy. Would have done better had I stayed home and taken a nap :-)

Mark-
I am not beyond garnering some sympathy if it will net me a few more followers. Let me see, what sympathy ploy can I think up next? A bad case of adult acne? Oh, man, better not jinx myself :D

Karen-
I was fairly quiet. MB on the other hand - can you say 'raving lunatic!' The driver did feel quite bad. He got out of the car so quickly once he realized what had happened that he forgot to put the car in gear an it started rolling backwards.
carma

Crazy Raincloud said...

Thank god you are okay. If your hubby hadnt of saved himself first, do you think he would have saved you? :P just kidding! Glad you are okay. :)

carma said...

Crazy Raincloud-
In hindsight, I notice he did escape rather quickly and left me to fend off the automobile on my own :D
although he was screaming like a madman for the driver to stop. (a much safer alternative ;-)
Today I stayed safely ensconced in the house!
carma

Tina said...

Oh Carma, I am so glad to hear that you made it through this craziness with only a scratch on the knee. I LMAO visualizing you diving for the curb.....

You don't live in FL do you? This kind of stuff happens all of the time down here (snow-birds!)

carma said...

Tina-
I don't live in Florida (but we do live near a college- similar driving habits :-) and the bizarre thing is that traffic is enforced to the extreme in our town with speeding tickets galore for anyone who dares to exceed 25 mph (not much else for the cops to focus on) and signs all over the crosswalks warning cars to stop: How's that for irony??
carma

Heidi said...

I totally had to do that with a stroller. Slam it into the grass and jump for it. That's scary right there. I am glad you are ok,

carma said...

Heidi-
That's even scarier that you were with your child and had to flip the stroller. People simply do not pay attention to the actual driving process. Glad you made out OK and thanks for stopping by! :-)
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...