Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It's Book Time!

Just a quick commentary before getting to the book review. This week we had an abundance of taco meat in the fridge, since VC puts so little on his tacos. Not wanting to waste it, I was trying to get him to finish it up. Three days later we STILL had taco meat. So I started singing: "It's taco time. It's taco time!," as I prepared tacos for him, trying to make the meal sound all the more enticing. Although how much more appetizing can you get than 3 day old taco meat?

Well, one of the signs that you now have a full blown teenager on your hands is when said teenager deadpans, "Stop saying 'it's Taco Time' and maybe I'll like them more." Ouch.

Now, on to Book Time!
This month I read a mysterious book called The Other Side of Darkness by Melody Carlson. The story is basically about a woman with OCD who gets involved with an extremist religious cult. Fun huh? I'll summarize the book in Abbreviated Synopsis as follows:

Person with OCD + Extremist Religious Cult = Disaster

The book was well written and not a disaster in itself, but I realize it may not appeal to everyone. And those of you who are familiar with this post, fear not, as I do not know of any Cults in the immediate vicinity :-)

If you have some time, please mosey on over to Five Minutes for Books to see what others have read or are in the process of reading this month.

P.S. It's UTZciting* that there are only 4 days to go until I announce the giveaway winner! Don't miss out!
*UTZ pun courtesy of dedicated blog reader Mark



carma

15 comments:

Carrie said...

Re: your comment on my blog- the one you picked sounds pretty involved!

And LOL on the taco time story.

Michele said...

Hmmm...I had never heard of this book. It sounds interesting. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm guilty of doing the same thing too with book covers! :-)

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

Laughing about the taco meat. The Other Side of Darkness looks interesting. Thanks for visiting

Lindsay said...

This book sounds interesting! I hope your knee is feeling better!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I can see how OCD plus a cult could equal disaster. That sounds like an interesting read!

Stephanie said...

Glad to see I am not the only one who breaks into song around the house. My family winces, but I know they really love it!

Trish said...

I read this too and felt much the same as you. I like Melody Carlson but was nervous about the subject matter; I think she did pretty well with it.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi on my blog today. :)

Lucy said...

Wow, that book sounds dark.
I think I will stick with my lighter books.
Mary Higgins Clark or Danielle Steele. Reality is dark enough for me, so I like to lighten my life up with easy reads (ha! ha!)

Teenagers, gotta love'em!

Erin said...

Haven't heard of that one but it sounds interesting.

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I love the cover of that book!

When life gives you taco meat -- make enchiladas!

Just layer enchilada sauce (canned), corn tortillas, meat, cheese, tortilla sauce etc.

BIBI said...

Teenagers are so cute. Until it's time to feed them! :)

Love the book choice. Sounds very intriguing. Will look into!

By the way how's your knee?

DiPaola Momma said...

I'm a sucker for books.. really it's so very sad I'll read just about anything! Found ya from a comment you left on Janna Bee's blog... stopped by in honor of Click Fest to give ya some clicky support.. and wha? I even DIG your blogs TOO! lucky girl I am:D

carma said...

Jennifer, Snapshot-
EXCELLENT suggestion for the abundant taco meat. I think my son will like this option!

BIBI-
Doing much better. Noticed a huge bruise on my hip but I am a lot less achy. You are so kind to ask :-)

DiPaola Momma-
Thanks for stoppin' by and making me aware of the Click Fest. I'm off to visit your site now :D and I will spend some time clicking today!
carma

stephanie@{Olive Tree} said...

Haha. I loved your summary of this book! :) Short and to the point! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Julie said...

I like the book review...short, sweet and to the point. :) Hope your knee is feeling better! Thanks for stopping by my post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...