Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Is the Free Stuff Universe Trying to Tell Me Something?

Last week it happened AGAIN. I was on my way to pick up my free birthday gift from Sephora. (For those of you keeping track - this is the second girlie quality I possess. Makeup. I like makeup- only 18 more to go to complete the list!)

Running late as usual, I was headed to meet my high school friend at the mall. Brief summary: This is the same high school friend who I bumped into after not seeing her in over 20 years - at a Monster Truck Show. Coincidentally we both relocated to the same state and had our children 3 days apart.

Anyway, we try to meet at the mall once or twice a month, since we live about 50 mins. from each other.

On the way, I was startled to hear a loud *snap* -- and then noticed a small rock had ricocheted off my windshield - the same windshield that was completely shattered a year ago. [When I called the insurance company at that time they asked if the crack was bigger than an inch. Well, yeah! Like pretty much half the windshield!!] Fortunately, this incident only resulted in a few chips.photo credit Andrew McConnochie

Here's the interesting part. (if I'm to be honest, I'll have to rephrase "mildly interesting" part). Several weeks ago this same thing happened. Some ice and debris was flicked off of a passing 18-wheeler onto my windshield resulting in a few chips. This is on top of the chips that occurred 3 weeks after the windshield was originally replaced when the car was barely a year old.

Where was I headed a couple weeks back when this occurred? On my way to pick up free makeup that was part of the class action settlement against Dillards, Macy's et al. Since class action settlements usually result in a fraction of a cent reimbursement to the plaintiffs and the rest going to the attorneys, I was excited to be getting something of value, namely mascara!!!

So here's the thing: Both times when I was headed to pick up some free loot, specifically makeup, my windshield was chipped. Coincidental? Or is some odd cosmic force trying to prevent me from getting free makeup? Your thoughts....

P.S. There is still plenty of time to enter to win the giveaway. All it takes is a comment!

8 comments:

PunkyBean said...

I think the universe is saying, "Don't put on make-up while driving." So if you don't do that you can still be a make-up junkie! :)

carma said...

PunkyBean-
Guilty as charged! (But only when my vehicle is stopped.) I will try to refrain and see if good things come...
carma

PunkyBean said...

I only do it when my kids aren't in the car... I actually consider it multi-tasking!

Suburbia Steph said...

I say next time hitch a ride with someone else! Bizarre coincidence for sure!

carma said...

Suburbia Steph-
Either that or mass transit I suppose :-) Luckily I do not sense any more free makeup opportunities in the near future!
carma

Mark said...

I say let the Cap'n get the free makeup for you. From the pictures you posted it looks like he needs it more ;-)

carma said...

Mark-
He can't be trusted to pick out a subtle shade. Look at those photos of him with the pom poms ;-) and what if he settles on red eyelashes for me as well??
Best not to chance it!
carma

Mark said...

But with that look I bet Mardi Gras beads are no problem for him ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...