Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm Hot Cause I'm Fly; You Ain't Cause You Not

Confession: I am not Hot. I am not Fly. However, that didn't stop me from rollerskating to this "hit" song over the weekend. I've blogged about my "heyday" LOL in the eighties rollerskating almost every weekend, so I won't bore you with further details.

Every now and then we go skating at the local roller rink for old times sake and to burn some calories, especially now that MB is on his non-stop endurance diet.

The only thing that has really changed at roller rinks since the *glorious* eighties is the music. Even some of the carpet is still original. Aside from the songs from the 80's that we request, it is basically one long rap song that drones on for hours. Everyone goes into a zombie trance, until the rockin' eighties tunes come on!!! ♫ ♪ Alright stop, collaborate and listen.....

Here is a picture of me and VC that was taken his first time skating. You will notice two things about the picture: (1) that VC was/is a cutie pie and (2) that I have not aged well in 12 years, considering I am a non-smoker who slathers on sunscreen.
Have you entered my giveaway yet? Not only can you win cheese balls but your picture will be featured in a future blog post. Time is of the UTZ-sence!

12 comments:

Mark said...

So what's the request, Xanadu?

And speaking of the Cap'n, what's the shrinking progress?

PunkyBean said...

I WAS A RINK-RAT TOO!!!!!!! My ex-boyfriend was even a DJ at the rink! So, how big of a looser am I? :) I can't help but fake roller skate when I hear songs like "Sweet Child O'Mine" and "Pour Some Sugar On Me."

I can't wait for my kids to be big enough! :)

carma said...

Mark-
How do you always manage to come up with the most hysterical example to exemplify what I am blogging about: Xanadu--LOLOL
Our request list includes such 80's favs as: You Dropped A Bomb On Me, It Takes Two, Baby Got Back and Thriller (for MB)

Shrinking is still progressing albeit much slower. He is only down 6.5 lbs for the past two weeks. I may post an "official update" next week.

PunkyBean-
A fellow Rink Rat-- awesome! A cavorting with the DJ to boot :D
Don't forget Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" That was always the 'couples advance' song where we skated. You will have a blast once you can take the kids (and no longer have to fake skate). It really is pretty much still the same.
carma

Suburbia Steph said...

Aw, yeah! Roller skating is/was da bomb! I remember skatin' to Thriller, and Centerfold......ah - memories!

Mark said...

Well Xanadu was better than the thought of the two of you in matching MC Hammerish harem pants skating to "Can't Touch This" or Kris Kross's "Jump", right?

kidletsmum said...

I loved the roller rink too! I had my 11th birthday party at one and much to the horror of my father, I requested "Like A Virgin" as my birthday song. I had no idea...

EcoKid has those same FisherPrice rollerskates. We're gonna have to find a rink in Canada when we visit...

Tina said...

Skating...oh those were the days. Racing around the rink with your girls trying to impress the boys. And then if you are lucky, couple skating. Whoo-hoo! Almost makes me want to go....

carma said...

Suburbia Steph-
Thriller is definitely one of the best skating songs EVER!!

Mark-
You know you make me wanna Jump Jump ;-)

kidletsmum
"Like A Virgin"as your theme song- that is classic!!! Your dad must have been mortified; definitely check out some skates for your little ones. The pair he had barely rolled. It was pretty much the equivalent of walking around the rink...

Tina-
I can relate to all that - except maybe impressing the guys ;-) not sure that ever happened except in my dreams! Ah, just realized you said 'trying.' I certainly tried to impress the guys...
carma

Lucy said...

Oh, my gosh reading that post brought back some old memories. I haven't roller skated in years. I went to the rink for a couple of parties for my kids when they were young and I have totally forgotten about it again.

It was fun to read the comments about the songs. I sooooo loved Madonna!

carma said...

Lucy-
With life so serious now, sometimes it is fun to go back to our childhood pastimes and let loose for a bit :-) Some good memories there.
carma

BIBI said...

Awww still got game though Carma. And you are still beautiful.
As far as skating, I am not a avid skater but I will rock to some good 80's music.
And I know what you mean about the long drawn out rap songs. I was listening to 'Womanizer' by Britney Spears yesterday. And even though it is not "rap" it is still long, and it sticks in your head way too long after you have heard it. Ugh!
But I'm no hater. Just don't like the song no more!

carma said...

BIBI-
Thank you for your kind words :-) I guess I didn't think I was aging half-bad until I saw how much younger I looked in that picture! "Womanizer, Womanizer...." gotta agree with you on that one. But I'm no hater, either ;-)
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...