Friday, February 20, 2009

Feeling Parched

I'm tickled that I have the opportunity to use the word "parched" in a blog post. MB and I like to draw out the word and enunciate it wildly Chris Farley-style. But, enough about us.

After reading the recent flurry of news articles detailing how bottled water is pretty much the equivalent of tap water, confirming what I had been suspecting for years, and in an effort to cut down on our plastic usage (still saving the planet *sigh*), I purchased a couple Klean Kanteens.

That's mine at left.

The Klean Kanteen website touts the many advantages of its Kanteens:

"....the bottle is made of 100% recyclable, high-quality, food-grade, stainless steel so it doesn't need a special lining like some other metal bottles. It's completely BPA-free and won't leach toxins or funky flavors into your water, juice, smoothie, or drink of choice. Plus it weighs only 8 oz and is incredibly durable, so you can reuse it for years."

Sounds cool and environmental friendly, right? That is presuming that you are able to OPEN THE KANTEEN once you get to your destination and are parched beyond belief. I've discovered on more than one occasion that it is possible to inadvertently twist the lid (without any Herculean feats of strength) so tightly that it cannot be opened without using some MacGyver (not to be confused with MacGruber) ingenuity.
So last week at work, my shiny Klean Kanteen sat beside my computer (tightly sealed) while I strode to the fridge to get a plastic water bottle. Kinda defeated the purpose...

***In Klean Kanteen's defense, when I contacted customer service to see if they had any suggestions, the rep asked if I was traveling between different altitudes with the Kanteen, which can cause this to happen. I assured her I was not as I do not live on Mt. Kilimanjaro (kidding). She is going to send me a few new lids that will hopefully be easier to remove.

[Now don't get carried away thinking I am a "whiny" consumer. I just figured having spent $38 total for the canteens, it would be nice to use them :-)]

The alternative: support MacGruber and purchase some Pepsi Pepsi Pepsi Pepsi Pepsi

P.S. Boring snackfoods driving you nuts, enter to win some UTZ!

8 comments:

Amy@Bitchin'WivesClub said...

I bet if you put some cheese ball dust into the grooves of the lid, it would lube it up just right for opening. :) Just sayin'!

carma said...

Amy-
I like your thinking! This method would be a lot less toxic than the alternative: WD-40 :-)
carma

PunkyBean said...

They had some knock off versions at TJ Maxx for $5. I keep meaning to get there and buy one...

Doesn't sound like the generic could be too far off!

carma said...

Ack!! only $5.00 at the Maxx...wish I had known this about a month ago. When I think about how much I spent, it is kind of amusing :D and then sad :(
carma

Janna Bee said...

Yet another reason to love your blog- the combination of eco-friendly bottles + Macgruber= Win win!

carma said...

Janna Bee-
Thanks for the props :-) Sometimes I am alarmed at the way my mind works!
carma

kidletsmum said...

We've got a whole family of Kleen Kanteens and I've never had a too-tight lid problem. Did have a leaky problem with the sippy cup attachments (drinking is SO difficult for me...)

carma said...

kidletsmum-
Now I really feel like a spaz :-) Maybe it's me? I am going to try out the new lids, but I'm skeptical. The lids have been so tight that it takes one of those grippers to remove them. I sympathize with your sippy cup lid dilemma.
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...