Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tiny is the New Big

Watching CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood this past Sunday (no, I am not yet a Senior Citizen, although I am set in my ways), I was happy to hear that the average house size has gone from an average of 2,600 at beginning of 2008 to a more sensible 2,400 currently.

I am hoping to go even smaller! I have always had a "thing" for small living spaces. My dream is to get a Tumbleweed Tiny House that I can clean in 10 minutes, freeing me up for other things like Twitter, blogging, making paintings that "only a family member would love," testing toilets and bounce juggling by myself once my son is at college (so sad!)....This is the size I am considering:



117 sq feet should do the trick! And I just noticed that it comes with a red door!! I absolutely <3 red doors! I painted ours red last year. And, 5 coats of paint later, it is relatively easy to spot our house from the street!

p.s. An observant Twitterer has wisely commented on the rather steep price tag! (her exact wording in reference to the pricing was "WTH!") My plan is to have MB "slap" one together for us, our own design, with red door and skylight and tiny pantry for the cheese balls.

9 comments:

Mad Asthmatic said...

glad to see the cheese balls are being included in your future planning.

toodlepip

MA

carma said...

MA-
with a house of this size, we may need to plan it AROUND them as the container will take up 1/32nd of the space!
Much Obliged.
carma

Blue State Cowgirl said...

I say leave the wheels on it so you can pick up and drive to the mountains anytime. Assuming you can find the mountains. And aren't just going to hang out in a town and try to palm off pictures of Tiny Toy Town as your mountain experience.

carma said...

Blue State-
You are so onto my "game." I'm going to have to attempt to think 10 steps ahead of you, but I'll inevitably find myself back from the next trip begging to see if you have pictures of say, Costa Rica, handy! Or else I'll have to spend the day recreating the sandy beaches in miniature (assuming they have sandy beaches - I may never actually set foot on the beach during my trip.)
carma

carma said...

Blue State-
gah! You have trumped me already. Was I nuts thinking I was going to get my tiny house on wheels to Costa Rica!!!!
carma

Mark said...

Sounds like the Tiny Tinker Toy House and the 117sg ft (not counting removable transportation system) allows just enough room for the Strong Silent Champion 4 (tm) to be installed. Seems that there must be room in between the 3level IKEA bunkbeds and matching Swedish Meatball crockpot.

carma said...

Mark-
I cannot believe I forgot to account for the Champion 4! One flush from that powerhouse and the place will be leveled. Must consider this carefully before installing...
carma

Mark said...

So what size train board layout could you have? The squarefoot conversion factor for UTZ cheeseball containers? How many tennis balls will that hold?

carma said...

Mark-
I'm afraid the train layout will need to be reduced to one square foot; perhaps enough for a tiny portion of the Blue Ridge Mountain Range at best...about the UTZ conversion factor, I'm not that proficient with "higher math" plus the container being round as opposed to square will cause much confusion.
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...