Friday, January 9, 2009

Only the Gelt Sc@$*##e Remains

Being a reasonably organized person, by December 26th, I like to have the tree disassembled and stored safely out of sight in the attic. Clutter adds to stress, so I've pared the random decs down to the bare minimum, for easy take down. While I may not be the most "festive," I am surely one of the most efficient. MB was even motivated to take the lights down quickly this year. By Dec. 27th there were not many holiday vestiges remaining, save for the Gelt Sc@$*##e.

Curious?

I was so enamored with my BIG Christmas present (the orange crunchy one) that I forgot all about the Gelt Sc@$*##e that was in my stocking until tonight. Here's the story: every year MB goes to the German market 45 mins away (well, it used to be authentic German, but has since "changed hands" and them now sell *cough* French Rolls *cough*). He picks up all of the traditional wursts for Christmas Eve dinner, including the suspicious sounding "Blutwurst," which reminds me of the year we had squished Blutwurst all over the white kitchen floor. But I digress...

During his shopping trip, he usually picks up a Gelt Sc@$##*e as a stocking stuffer. For those of you who do not participate in wacky German traditions, the Gelt Sc@$##*e is made of marzipan and looks something like this:

(Yes, those are red butt cheeks with a coin in between them.)

With all signs of the holidays packed away for well over a week, it took me until tonight to rediscover the Gelt Sc@$*##e in the pantry, the last fond memory of Christmas 2008, besides the cheese balls :P


Looking for more ways to clean up after the holidays? Please visit: http://rightathome.com
and http://blog.parentbloggers.com

10 comments:

Blue State Cowgirl said...

Is this post a shameless ploy to court German blog readers? And do I recognize that vista of the Blue Ridge Mountains from somewhere? Say without the Cheez Balls?

Crazy Raincloud said...

I just arrived at your blog via Mad Astmatic. I read a few of your older posts and thought i'd comment on your blog. You are interesting and witty :) And i want one of those little guys!

Mad Asthmatic said...

my you did get some unusual crimbo pressies Carma. How could you take your tree down so early. I will make a christmas obsessed person out of you next.
My aim is to get a lithuanian visitor.
MA

carma said...

Blue State-
I've already had a couple of German visitors - fancy that! Hope you don't mind me using the beautiful photo for another one of my shameless ploys! If the photographer hasn't granted me full rights, please let me know as I have another option in mind...Now, off to court some African visitors!

Crazy Raincloud
Thanks for visiting and glad you enjoy the site. Mad Asthmatic is a lot of fun. We usually have all sorts of banter going back and forth. If there happen to be any German markets in your area, I would hazard a guess that they would have a "Gelt" It's definitely worth checking; I have already consumed mine and can confirm it was tasty :D

MA-
I'm afraid I am a lost cause when it comes to getting in the Christmas Spirit. My husband has tried on several occasions, but without much success...He tends to go overboard, so we balance each other out in that area. Of course, "overboard" for me is basically normal for others. Good luck on the Lithuanian visitor. Blue State and I are working on African now that you have been taunting us with your Nigerian visitor!

Blue State Cowgirl said...

You are welcome to use any of my photographs, provided you Photoshop in CheezBalls!

carma said...

Blue State-
Thanks :) Appreciate it. Any action from the Southern hemisphere?
carma

Karen said...

HA! Very funny. I'm not German but I might need to join in that tradition next year...

carma said...

Karen-
I'm not sure that the "Gelt" falls under the traditional German customs category- except at our house; although I am learning that when one has a full-blooded German in the house there are way more traditions than I can handle at times :)
carma

Mad Asthmatic said...

Is this the time to mention that I have had a Thai visitor as well as the ukranian, romanian and Fin. Ok so they haven't stopped to say hi but who cares.
Off to find my lithuanian....

Toodlepip

MA

ps, still not convinced by that Albanian comment.

carma said...

MA-
I promised proof and I shall deliver. You just sit tight and wait for your Lithuanian visitor to mosey on by.
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...