Thursday, January 22, 2009

Not Content with My Content

I typically like to have many blog posts in draft form, at the ready in case I go through a dry spell in terms of exciting things happening in my life (which is likely). So last night I checked what was on the docket in terms of drafts (Having just used the word "docket," it seems I am putting that 6 month paralegal class to work. And, no, it wasn't one of those Sally Struthers' correspondence schools, although come to think of it the school name did begin with the name "Sunshine") .

Dare I say, it was pretty "slim pickens": an unflattering photo of me and VC taken at the local big box store, a post about why I am like marrying a man, and a whiny post about my Kleen Kanteen. Incredulous that this was all I had in reserve, I quickly paged through my list of posts in search of more drafts, hoping I had a "gem" in there somewhere. Nada.

Then I had a "shocking" revelation. All of the time I spend on Twitter posting useless tidbits and what in my mind are witty @replies, has taken time away from producing actual blog content! (insert gasp here)

As every good blogger knows, content is king, especially when you are a blogger like myself with limited technical skills, unless you count troubleshooting video editing problems and reinstalling windows on my PC, which is pretty much how I have spent the last 3 weeks.

As I was saying, content is king. Now you are probably thinking, oh, now she thinks she's some big social media "expert," even though it specifically states in her Twitter profile that she is NOT a social media expert. Next thing we know she'll be posting "25 Mistakes not to Make When Using Twitter" and "How to Make Social Media Work for You" kind of posts.Not to brag or anything, but now that I discovered my bounce rate is better than Chris Brogan's I'm thinking I may just be able to pontificate on such matters in the future. Yeah, right.

Finding myself scrapping the bottom of the barrel, I recalled some wise words I learned from a fellow Twitterer: It is helpful to look over your Tweets to get ideas for blog posts. Why didn't I think of that?? It may have had something to do with the content of my Tweets. Here's a sample from Tuesday's time line:

- In answer to Question 8A- yes we do have a flush toilet, although it doesn't compare to the Champion 4

- When they say this lint roller is 50% stickier, they mean it; this thing is almost hazardous

- Enjoying the Today show coverage of cars idling outside Blair House and people checking their coats for lint

I'm going to stop right there, since I am embarrassed to say that I had two posts about lint in the SAME day. Maybe it is not wise to take the advice of this Twitterer. Perhaps I need to reconsider all the other "wise advice" I have gotten via Twitter about making millions or getting thousands of followers on my blog. (You mean that doesn't really happen?) Or maybe I need to make a post about lint. The better choice may be to go with Plan A:








carma

10 comments:

Blue State Cowgirl said...

I heard lint is a serious problem in former Soviet satellite states. So if you are still seeking those Albanian visitors, I'd go with the post on lint.

carma said...

Blue State-
I am kicking some serious international buttocks this week, having added Brunei, Bangladesh and Bosnia & Herzegovina in the past few days. However, I have my sights set on a place where there is not much lint due to the warmer climate. Details to emerge.
carma

Mark said...

It sounds like exciting times there in Carmaburgh and I can see there is much potential in "why I'm like marrying a man".

carma said...

Mark-
Even when things are not exciting, a blogger must make them exciting. I think I'll make that another rule in my forthcoming online Blogger rulebook. (since I'm the only blogger who doesn't yet have one.) At the same time I will christen myself a social media expert." Why I'm like marrying a man" post is in the Cuisinart.
carma

Liz at Buffalo said...

Gotta say, this is one of my all-time favorite tweets: "When they say this lint roller is 50% stickier, they mean it; this thing is almost hazardous" I love it so freakin' much I can hardly tell you. Classic!

carma said...

Liz-
Thanks for visiting and for appreciating my Tweet. I must repay the compliment since you know I get a kick out of your Tweets, especially those with a multitude of superfluous symbols ;-)
carma

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Carma - I now know who I can come to for Twitter advice - I am technically challenged, to say the least - I am @Fhina if that makes any sense to you, fellow Twitterer x

carma said...

Fhina-
I see you took the Twitter plunge! I'm a Fhina follower. It is really a lot of fun once you get into it. Feels a bit weird at first. Happy to be of help with my limited Twitter knowledge :-)
carma

Mark said...

I feel honored to be in the presence of a Social Media Jedi Master :-) or is that the Black Belt of lint rollers?

carma said...

Mark-
With the strength of this mighty lint roller, it would turn my black belt gray...
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...