Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The North-going Zax

I almost feel like any post that follows the previous one will be grossly out of place. I had several posts prepared but everything seems so trite and unimportant at this point.

MA always seemed to enjoy the posts where I examined my own idiosyncrasies, so I have chosen to go with this post, bearing in mind that I realize there are many more important things that could be said*.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lately, I am more and more convinced that I am turning into Dr. Seuss' North-going Zax. If you are unfamiliar with his classic novel, here's a short summary via Wikipedia:

"The Zax" is a lesson about the importance of compromise. In the story a North-going Zax and a South-going Zax meet face to face in the Prairie of Prax.

Because they refuse to move east, west, or any direction except their respective headings, the two Zax become stuck, as they refuse to move around each other. The Zax stand so long that eventually a highway overpass is built around them, and the story ends with the Zax still standing there.

Having been stubborn from the time I could turn my head left to right and utter "uhn uhn" as in "no no," my family is probably already nodding in agreement.

It is not easy being the North-going Zax. I have always marched to my own drummer. Tell me how something is customarily done or must be done and I'll do it my own way. Thanyouverymuch. I'm stubborn through and through when it comes to taking a stand against rigid traditions and other nonsense of this sort. Try to tie me down and I'll kick and scream. Try to pin me in a corner and I'll push my way out.

Gosh, I sound awfully fun to live with!

Here's the real story. I TRY to be the North-going Zax, but what usually ends up is that I grudgingly go along with what I *should* do, the "proper" thing to do, my voice silenced. Again.

No need to build an overpass around me because I'll be gone by the time you get here.


*If you have time to read some of MA's comments on previous posts, it will give you a sense of what a clever, witty, intelligent, feisty & fun person she was.

7 comments:

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

I just love Dr Seuss..the grinch, the cat, green eggs, fox in socks, l wish l still had them all...

FFF X

carma said...

I appreciate your adding those kind words about MA. It is a sad, sad time but it is also beautiful to see such an outpouring from the blogging community.

About Dr. Seuss, his stories are so remarkable. I can remember this particular one over 30 years later, which is kind of scary on my part!
carma

Blue State Cowgirl said...

If MA were here, she would possibly suggest that, if you want to be a stick-in-the-mud Seuss character, you should possibly look to Bartholomew. At least he finally figured out a way to get rid of the Oobleck.

Me, I'd like to be more like the Lorax.

carma said...

Blue State-
I would have so loved to hear MA's take on this. You know she would have made some wise observations.

And you being most like the Lorax- I totally agree! From what I've read on your blog, it would be the perfect fit.
carma

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Carma, I am pleased to have got to know you through the lovely Emma - I see FFF is here before me - I follow that woman around like a little lap-dog!

I have written about Emma today, using her own words pretty much, which I feel have a message for us all, so are worth repeating, and repeating.

My blessings to you and thanks for caring and sharing your life through blogs too!

fizzycat said...

Thanks for speaking about MA. It is going to be a while before I blog without thinking what will she comment about after .
Dr Seus rocks, love those stories.

carma said...

Woman of No Importance and Fizzy Cat- (love those names!) thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such kind words about Emma. I know all our blogs feel "empty" without her comments.
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...