Sunday, January 25, 2009

Low on Lo Mein

Did you know that yesterday, January 25th was the Chinese Lunar New Year? Neither did I until my son pointed it out.

Then I remembered that every year the students at our local college put together a show, with lots of Kung Fu, adorable Chinese dancers, menacing dragons, and most of all, my favorite: Free Food!

Last year we missed out on much of the food save for some dry white rice, so this year I figured I had it in the "bag" since we arrived early. While I reserved some seats, VC went up to check if there was any food. I chatted with a friend and half an hour later I went upstairs to see if they were serving food yet. VC and his friend were sitting at a cozy table, chopsticks in hand, happily eating Lo Mein.

I inquired if it was vegetarian Lo Mein and VC assured me it was so I went to the end of the line and patiently waited over half an hour for my turn to get some Lo Mein. Wouldn't you know it, they ran out of Lo Mein two people in front of me!!! I had to settle for a couple of fortune cookies.

A while later MB reported that he noticed people were being served Lo Mein again, so he went to wait on line for me. And, wouldn't you know it, by the time he got to the front of the line, a half an hour later, they served him the last tablespoon of Lo Mein. And I mean it was literally a tablespoon. Foiled again!!!!

I felt a little better about it after we witnessed some of the most awesome fireworks ever. I've never been this close to fireworks except when we set off our own and the one time my cousin almost lost his finger.



Impress your friends by telling them that this year is the Year of the Ox. I was not born in a cool year such as the Year of the Snake or the Year of the Rat. But I'm not gonna tell you what year it was.....I'm still feeling lo.

7 comments:

Blue State Cowgirl said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy as they say in San Francisco's Chinatown. (And pssst Chow Mein and Lo Mein are not real Chinese food.)

carma said...

Blue State-
They're not?? But the Lo Mein was served by real Chinese people. Kidding. It was really college students. I can see this post is not going to help me attract a Chinese commenter *groan*
carma

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai _ Wishing you to be prosperous in the coming year...

Am I fooling anyone here?!

Beautiful photographs, Carma!

carma said...

Woman of No Importance-
I'm betting your Chinese is much better than mine. Glad you liked the photos and happy New Year to you as well!
carma

Crazy Raincloud said...

i was born in the year of the dragon :D beautiful pics :)

carma said...

Crazy Raincloud-
Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout: a cool year like Year of the Dragon! My year that shall remain unnamed is not quite as impressive sounding...
carma

Mark said...

Rooster here. And now you have me craving Lo Mein!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...