Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hairdos of the Mildly Depressed

I just finished reading this unusual book by Doug Crandell. Naturally,I picked it due to the bizarre title. Ok, so I judged the book by it's cover. Won't be the last time!

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the book. It teaches a valuable lesson about focusing on the more important things in life. The main character is consumed with his lack of hair, while his brother who has a traumatic brain injury goes happily on with his own life, marrying and having children. All the while his brother (who is follically challenged) spirals down a path to self-destruction. It is not until the end of the book that he comes to terms with what really matters in life.

My mind naturally gravitates towards ruminating about minutae, so this book provided a much-needed wake up call. Hopefully I have not revealed too much (about me or the book!). You will not be disappointed.

To find out what others are reading this month, hop on over to 5 Minutes for Books.



carma

14 comments:

Amy@Bitchin'WivesClub said...

Love the title!

carma said...

yep. With a title like that there was no way I could pass it by

writer2b said...

Sounds like a wake-up call I could use, too. Thanks for the review.

Janet@acrossthepage.net

carma said...

writer2b-
thanks for visiting and commenting :-)
carma

Mark said...

You've piqued my interest with your review. I'll have to pick it up for my next in-flight reading assignment. I need a break from my historical reading to-do list.

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

Sounds interesting. The title makes it sound intriguing. Have fun reading.

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Great review, and I too often pick books by their titles or covers (or avoid them for the same reasons).

Lindsay said...

oo that sounds a good book to read.. put things in perspective.

carma said...

Mark-
I'm not sure if this book will be as entertaining as The Diary of a Stealth Gelt, but it is worth a look!
carma

carma said...

Robin & Lindsay-
Thanks for stoppin' by :-)

Jennifer-
Glad you are a book cover judger as well!
carma

hayleejalyn said...

Hahaha--yup. It is certainly the kind of title that I would pick up. Kudos to the author for such a catchy title. And thank to you for the great review! I might seek this book out now.

carma said...

HayleeJalyn-
Thanks! Sounds like you enjoy books that are not run of the mill. If you do end up picking it up, I'd love to hear your impression.
carma

Mark said...

C,
The problem is that if the Diary of a Stealth Gelt is penned, who'd be able to see the words?

I mean it'd be written in Stealth, right?

carma said...

Mark-
I bet the Stealth Gelt would use lemon juice to write with like all real spies do. My bad.
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...