Friday, January 23, 2009

Downtime Chez Carma Sez

You may (or may not) be wondering some of the hobbies I do to balance out the demands of my work/home life. I'll admit that neither of them is truly that demanding, but I couldn't think of a more appropriate word.

Ever since I was a child, I have always been involved in arts and crafts. I've continued that into my adulthood, although I can best be described as a "serial hobbyist." I spent three years making ceramics. It was very enjoyable and almost therapeutic spinning a block of clay into usable vessels. The big turnoff came at the point I realized the studio I had been visiting almost daily had absolutely no ventilation system; even the kiln wasn't vented. That and other safety issues sent me packing, which may have been a good thing, since I still have a closet filled with pottery. I would have been approaching one of those eccentrics you read about who are found lost in a maze of ceramics.
I decided returning to painting was the way to go, so I immersed myself in making acrylic paintings that I like to say "only a family member would love."

This was quickly followed by a year spent crocheting: scarves, blankets and a shawl. Notice all of these pieces are flat. I'll admit I wasn't quite able to grasp the more advanced patterns and I quickly discovered that I could only use so many scarves, living in a moderate climate.

Not sure what hobby will be next, but for right now I am having a fun time blogging away my fears and frustrations and I don't seem to be running low on either of these!



This post was written for Parent Bloggers Network as part of a sweepstakes sponsored by BOCA. Visit the Boca balanced living site .

11 comments:

Blue State Cowgirl said...

Wow! A woman of many and varied talents. My outlet is Photography and being part of Project 365 (a photo a day for a year) has really helped (mainly because everyone is so much better than I am and can give loads of help.)

Is there a Project 365 Pots? Well, er, that wouldn't work very well would it? Takes a lot longer to make a ceramic than snap a pic.

Never mind.

carma said...

Blue State-
I love what you are doing with the photography project. Maybe I can join in next year, assuming everyone doesn't have super de duper ultra deluxe zoom cameras. I just use a tiny point and shoot.

I'm already imagining a cheeseball a day for 365 days....
carma

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Your ceramic work is fantastic, such a shame you had to give it up - And I do love the colours in your art!

Now, a ceramic, painted cheeseball - That might be just the thing...

carma said...

Woman of No Importance -
thanks for the compliments on my artwork :-) I could probably pick up some orange polymer clay and make cheeseballs galore!!
Time permitting, of course.
I'm still pondering some new and exciting hobbies to take up. What are your favs?
carma

jodifur said...

Wow! I wish I had that kind of talent.

Mark said...

What talent! I have respect for anyone that can transform clay, oils or like BSG, photographs into works of art. And like AWONI says a ceramic cheeseball would be the shadizzle, hmmmm maybe a ceramic gelt with Alec Baldwin's head? Or a painting of the Champion 4?

Love the serial hobbyist tag, although I'm sure the family is glad you're not a cereal killer.

carma said...

Jodi-
thank you!

Mark-
thank you for the compliments and also for your endless stream of creative project ideas, especially those revolving around cheeseballs and Alec Baldwin. Rest assured I always ensure our cereal is of the non-threatening variety ;-)
carma

carma said...

Mark-
another thought: my artwork was never quite fully appreciated at the local art league show, I'm thinking the ceramic Baldwin Gelt may be enough to put me over the top for the next show!
carma

Mark said...

Who knows, maybe that Baldwin Gelt could be the next model for the Golden Globe or SAG statuette?

fizzycat said...

You are very talented. I love the eyes in the acrylic painting.

carma said...

fizzycat-
thank you for the nice compliment :) I don't have a lot of confidence in my painting abilities, so it is good to hear this!
carma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...