Sunday, November 23, 2008

Admitting Defeat

I've gotta tell ya, my self-hosting defeat (where wordpress.org basically chewed me up and spit me out) has been haunting me.

Never one to easily accept failure, this will probably stay with me for a while, which is pretty ridiculous I admit. I'll usually beat things to death before giving up and admitting defeat. I do not do "defeat" graciously.

As many of you know, I am a "Frugal McDougal" so, of course, the considerable amount of money I pissed away by pre-paying for two years of self-hosting (how very ambitious, I know!) eats away at me, especially since it is equivalent in price to 4 top quality juggling clubs. But, I only wish it was that simple. What really irks me is setting out to do something (again) and not accomplishing it (again).

We are so encouraging to our children when they feel defeated. We tell them we recognize how hard they tried and that it may not have worked out this time, but that there will be other opportunities to come. We tell them that they are not failures. We tell them that their achievements are limitless.

Yet, when it comes to our own failures, we chastise ourselves, become our own worst critics and rip our psyches to shreds...

When will we start to treat ourselves as kindly as we treat our kids? Just a thought...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...